Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Serenity NOW


I feel like my head is going to explode.

Why?

As many of you may know the Joint Council on International Children's Services reported that Kazakhstan was "closed" to U.S. adoptions yesterday. I just checked again and the Kazakhstan page now says "temporarily suspended."

I have watched rumors come and go on the lists since December. I even desparately emailed my coordinator after reading the first one. All of them were unsubstantiated, but they would not go away. This one, however, seemed pretty convincing.

Our agency has been really amazing with its communication. In fact, their list was the first place I read about the JCICS announcement. Our director was able to put it in some sort of context and explained what he had found out so far. He wrote that adoptions from Kazakhstan have never completely stopped.

Still, I worry.

Our dossier is at the Consulate in New York. The statement says:
"Dossiers which have not yet been processed by the Embassy/Consulate will not be forwarded to Almaty and will remain at the Kazakhstan Embassy/Consulate pending the completion of the review noted above."

I am worn out and we haven't even traveled yet. I know there is nothing I can do. We just wait and more than likely things will get sorted out.

Serenity NOW!

8 comments:

Troy and Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Troy and Sherry said...

I received similar news from our agency today. Like you, I've read all the other rumors prior to this, but you are right this one seems real. No one seems to know exactly what is happening or how long it lasts. I will be praying for good news for you!

Sam said...

girl i hear ya. and i love that you used the word unsubstantiated. its a social work term that i use a million times a day. i just had a temper tantrum on my blog. it feels good. apparently they mean "moratorium" not closed. i am tired of talking about it. just read my blog....

Susan said...

but that doesn't even make sense.
Dossiers are sent to Astana, not to Almaty before they're moved on their region. I know, it's hard to not stress. But, could this not be issues with the DC embassy? No agency has the real truth, right now it's all rumors.

You are in my prayers. If it is real, i'm sure it's just a temporary delay.

This will make you insane.

I hope you find joy and peace somehow until we hear what is really going on.

Go give that Luca a big hug and kiss.

April said...

Angela,

I so hope things get sorted out for you and that it happens sooner rather than later. What a frustrating process. I can't even imagine the rollar coaster ride you are on.

I'm keeping fingers/toes crossed that everything works out soon.

My best~
April

Joby and Marla said...

Hey, I am right there with you!
Marla

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my thoughts. We also felt like we were kicked in the gut yesterday. At this point we are holding on for a day or 2 to see what happens. After that, I am really not sure. According to our agency, they spoke to the D.C. embassy and supposedly everything is still a go. I am not so sure though. I do hope because your dossier is in, everything is going to be ok and you can continue on your path! This stinks.
Hang in there.

Heidi

marsrob said...

This has to be wrong! It has to be!!! OY!!! Hoping it changes FAST!