Monday, September 1, 2008

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner of Champions (Bonding Day 4)

Visit with Alia
This is the bottle that holds the keffir that Alia eats 3 times a day. She eats it in 5 minutes, I swear.

When we arrive we strip her down to her diaper and do a little baby massage and exercise. Jennifer M sent me some great suggestions for physical therapy. A good thing about the hospital is that there isn't anyone around watching us or reprimanding us for taking off her clothes or opening the window or letting her sleep. We can pretty much do anything we want to. She tires pretty quickly of the exercises, but seems to enjoy them for a while. We really have to do something to distract her because we come about a 1/2 hour or so before the bottle. I can see the quiet desperation in her eyes - bottle, bottle, bottle is running through her mind (in Russian of course).

The feeding is almost a nonevent because it happens so darn fast.

She slept some - little cat naps - while we walked and swayed her around. She woke up long enough to play around with this rattle we brought. It has little beads inside that shake around. We showed her how she could grab it and she did! She was clearly doing what we showed her.
She also grabbed at a book we were reading. The books we brought are all bathtub books - vinyl and spongy and light - she clenched a page in her fist and looked like she was trying to turn the page. This is a big deal for little Alia - she hasn't really grabbed anything yet - I don't think she knows to.

Today when we left she was half asleep. I didn't hear her cry until we were almost out the door.

Ready for my rant? It is depressing to have to leave her every day. I know there is wisdom to the bonding period . . . I can't imagine walking in there and walking out with her when she doesn't know us one bit. But, this 2 hour a day stint seems cruel. I know this is what we signed on for, but I don't like it at all.

Life in Kokshetau
Today is Constitution Day (Kazakhstan's Constitution is only 13 years old!) and the first day of school. All the boys wear suits the first day! I loved seeing boys of all shapes and sizes walking around in their suits. The girls wear black and white and those massive Russian bows - the bows are so absurd that they are cute.

Former Soviet countries sure love their oversized head gear - the police hats are huge and so are the nurses' (closer to chef hats). They also love their uniforms. I teach a section on Russian woman artists from around the revolution. A lot of them designed uniforms. I think uniforms represented where you worked and solidarity with whom you worked with and the government. I can see the uniform theme carry over in the more traditional grocery stores - the ones that have 4 places to check out. I walk into those places and feel daunted - where DO I check out with what and why can't I pick up my own laundry detergent?

We walked to Gorky Park this afternoon. It was crowded because of the holiday and kids were just out of school. There are some rides in the park - a ferris wheel, this crazy thing that spun two people upside down and back again, and some others. There were also lots of food stands.

We have not eaten out yet. Do you know we are vegetarian? Yes, the vegetarians go to the country whose national dish is horse sausage. I am sure we can find something to eat in a restaurant, but we have been enjoying our meals at home. Last night, I made pierogi & roasted carrots. It was actually pretty good - the pierogi were awesome. We still don't have huge appetites - maybe still jet lagged?

Happy Labor Day!

12 comments:

Susan said...

HAPPY constitution day!!
I thought people were going to chruch today cuz everyone was dressed up...nope, just first day of school! I love the french maids...we ran into a group of girls at Gros today..looked about 10 years old, Sean's age.
I have this pick up line I do..."cok vie pov sha viet tea" (how are you doing?) in russian and Sean gets all embarrassed. It's hilarious.

The salads are very good here...non meat ish. I just don't care for mayo, so I get the ones with olive oil. I have not cooked...but no surprise there..I don't cook at home either. :)

It is hard to say good bye to the kiddo's...but you have to view it as everyday is just one day closer to bringing her home forever.
Plus, Leeza adores her caretakers,so that makes me feel better to know that she is really loved. :)

Glad she liked her rattle and her books!! cute picture....:)

Jennifer said...

Wow, she's really doing well grabbing on to books and such. Go Alia!

I'm glad to hear you are finding things to eat. I know my appetite came back when the jet lag wore off. Then I started eating everything! LOL! Not sure which was better.

Happy Labor Day to you too!

Kim said...

Oh that bottle brings back memories. They used to hand us the bottle with boiling hot "tea" with lemon and sugar to give to Noah for his afternoon snack. He was 10 months.

I am pretty sure the former Soviet Union is the LAST place I would ever get on a carnival ride. :)

Glad to read Alia is doing better each day.

Kim

Patrick & Eileen said...

According to our calendar Constitution Day was August 30th. I guess since it landed on a Saturday then they *had* to have a reason for a day off on Monday! :) Much like they do in France.

That's great that you get to have a lot of freedom with Alia in the hosptial. I'm sure it makes you feel more comfortable in many ways.

While I'm not a vegetarian. I'm really weird about meat. If I think about what I'm eating I can't finish it sometimes - I give it to Pat. That's usually with chicken or pork. Any other type of meat....will never pass my lips. I don't eat rabbit, veal, liver, etc. I don't even care for fish too much. After all that...I'm a bit worried about how I'll be in Kaz :) We're staying in a hotel and will not have the luxury of cooking for ourselves.

Take care,
Eileen

Tracy said...

Happy Labor day!!! Happy Constitution day!
It sounds like things are going great for you over there. You are enjoying your baby girl. You have a nice spacious cottage with internet service. You had perogies!! You have skype so can see and talk with Luca. What more could you ask for...

Thanks for the sneak peaks of Alia...

Tracy

Joby and Marla said...

I know leaving Alia is hard but just think how exciting it will be on Gotcha Day! Do you get custody after court or do you wait until after the 15 days?

I am not a vegetarian but there is no way I am going to eat horse meat. If I had been born 50 years ago, I probably would be a vegetarian. I can't think about killing anything. My husband killed a nest of wasp the other day & I was sad. If one of them hadn't stung him on the butt, then they could still be alive!!!!! That part of the story was very humorous!!!! I am kinda worried about what I am going to eat in Kaz but I don't care if I have to survive on Peanut Butter (I don't really like) as long as I get to Kaz!!!!!!

Diana said...

Hang in there! Every visit is one step closer to bringing your little one home. The bottles they use sure are simple and functional.

Trudi said...

It must be so hard leaving Alia - I can so relate to how you must feel. It is a funny system, particularly when parents are willing to be there many more hours. But I guess the answer lies in "it's a system".

Every day I try to picture Alia from your cute teaser photos. They are darling and I know she is too.

I am hoping you can still find good fresh veggies there this time of year. Thank goodness it isn't January :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Labor Day! It is good to hear little Alia is doing ok; good signs that she is grabbing for stuff! I like your place, it looks nice (huge!!) Is that a possibility of another family rooming with you? You both look good in your photos. Relaxed even! Vegetarian...I would think you could find some fabulous beet borsch someplace! Report back on that. Enjoy your time.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Hi Angela, we're sorry we haven't commented for a few days. It's been a busy Labor Day weekend. I cracked up at your clandestine use of the washing machine -- right down to your impeccable notes about how to replace the towel. Too funny! I would have done the same exact thing. I actually love to do our laundry, and I was meticulous about my hand washing in the Ust hotel, even creating my own rinse cycle complete with fabric softener! :-)

Your journey has so many unique aspects to it -- the "cottage", the hospital, the region, etc. Thank you so much for sharing the story with us.

I can't fathom how difficult it is to place Alia in her crib as you leave. In the baby house, we never even saw Max's sleeping quarters until our last day, when the caretakers showed us the rest of his living area so we could take pics. We have such empathy for how difficult it must be for you, and we pray that time will pass quickly and that you will all be a family before you know it!

BTW, I ended up getting hooked on a "beet salad" that they sold in the markets and grocery stores -- a little heavy on the onions, but no meat or mayo, which was important to me. It sounds like you have found plenty of veggies, so just enjoy your cottage kitchen and don't sweat it if you're not eating in the restaurants.

We can't wait to see pictures of Alia, but we did the same thing -- no pics until we cleared court. So, we will be very patient. :-)

Anonymous said...

When I was in Taraz we were with a Belgian couple who were vegetarian - they had a tough time. But most places would make them a plate of veggies if they asked.

I'm dying to see little Alia. I re read posts, did you say how old she is or is that under wraps too?

You should have some good material for your courses. I remember laughing at one of the festivals in Taraz at these 5 foot something male officers with hats bigger than they were!
Shannon

Karen said...

I hardly ate any meat while over there, the veggies were so delicious. Lots of potatoes, cucumbers, onions and carrot dishes (then again, we were there when it was cold, so comfort food took the chill off our bones).

I'm sure it's hard to leave your little Alia behind. It was easier with an older child—while Garrett was always happy to see us, he also was very happy to return to his "group." (Especially when he was sick.)