Friday, September 26, 2008

Home Away from Home

We have been home for a little more than a week. Another AP wrote that coming home during the process makes it feel even more surreal. I completely agree. I can't really wrap my head around the fact that we were in Kazakhstan just LAST week and that there is a spritely little girl there waiting for us to come back to bring her home.

I don't have words to describe the jet-lag. I actually remember very little from this last week. Unfortunately, I do remember my class on Tuesday afternoon. I felt like I drank a bottle of vodka, swallowed a few sleeping pills, then tried to teach a class about women artists and the rise of the Academy in 18th century Europe. I had no recall . . . I couldn't find words . . . I couldn't comprehend questions . . . I was confused.

I also recall that I have experienced such emotional extremes - I can only guess that these are fueled by jet-lag as well as the rollercoaster that international adoption is. When we arrived home, I felt such immense relief. I couldn't stop picking up our 50 lb. boy and covering him with kisses. I reveled in the familiar, mundane sights of our home. I smiled at the things that drove me crazy just 3 weeks ago. I can't help but think of the scene from "It's a Wonderful Life" when George Bailey came home from seeing what the world would be without him. He grabbed the newell post as he was bounding up the stairs to greet his kids and the top came off in his hand. Instead of cursing it, he kissed it. I felt the same about the odds and ends and what I perceived to be imperfections about our house and its contents. All of these things and people make up a life that I love and missed.

Then over the weekend I felt sheer terror about getting back on all those planes - I don't love flying.

I soon got over that and moved on to this overwelming sense of gratitude - I was so grateful for Alia; for the opportunity to adopt this little girl; for all the support we have received from family & friends, real and virtual. Mixed in was being homesick for Kazakhstan! We were so ready to come back, but a few days later, I missed the simplicity of our life there, our housemates and, of course, our visits with Alia.

My outlook on life has changed greatly because of our stay in Kazakhstan. I am only beginning to understand the many ways how. I do know that I have found peace again in a most unlikely place. The fog of grief and despair from the last few years has finally lifted with the meeting of a little girl named Alia.

12 comments:

Amy said...

It is hard to want to be in two places at one time. I understand. Makes me want to visit Kazakhstan for a trip every three years just to enjoy that simplicity.

Jennifer said...

Tears in the eyes.

I'm so glad you are finding peace.

There are times I just long for Kaz.

Tricia said...

It truly is an amazing journey that changes you on so many levels. It is hard to describe unless you have been there. I am so happy to hear that you have also found comfort with Alia. Your three little flowers have been transformed into one beautiful bouquet for you to admire.

Tracy said...

Wow.. that last comment said it all... you have a beautiful bouquet to look at. I was also thinking of the saying, "home is where your heart is" Now your heart is torn between two places... But soon.. so soon... it will be right where you are now. I can't wait to experiences all of this.

Tracy

Chris and Heather said...

Your posts are so beautiful - my comments seem trite.

I am dreading going home without our little one and dealing with airplanes, jet-lag, work, etc. I have become used to the simple life here and am more rested than I have been in years.

Susan said...

Angela,

Very beautifully put. All of us knew going into this that our lives would change, but we could not possibly understand how much. Not just because we are adding another preson to our family-which in and of itself is huge, but the process of getting there, and the friends we meet along the way, and then once you get here, are all such intense things that one cannot adequately describe.

I am so happy that your family has found their daughter and that Alia has found her family.

You are such a beautiful person-I feel very grateful to have met you and I look forward to meeting you in "real life" and your family.

xoxooxxo
Susan

marsrob said...

That is wonderful to hear. Isn't adopting a child mind-boggling? I could never have imagined the good it would do - I knew it would be wonderful, but how it would feel and all the complexity just still surprises me. And the jet-lag combined with the unbelievable experiences and other-worldliness of being on the other side of the world - it is all crazy and hard to believe. I can no longer even remember the first few months home. It is a blur. And that was with Aila! What a challenge and an amazing journey you are on -between things in a really unusual way. Able to be home with one of your sweeties and almost with your other one!
Thanks for continuing to share.

Alysa said...

So well put, Angela. It is the journey of a lifetime and there is nothing else like it. I too am so happy you found peace and your Alia. Our time in Kaz is precious, even though there are moments when you yearn for home. I think when we bring our children home, a little piece of us stays behind.

dnd82001 said...

Yes being home two weeks now and am still not back into the grove..........Dennis & I are so ready to have our son home - yet we are not nearly ready as far as getting it all together but yes we are so ready - we miss him - hope he remembers us - so many crazy emotions & feelings I could not ever imagined I would be having. We have been through so much and feel so very blessed and cannot believe that we have our son.....it's been a long journey but like you we are almost to the end of this path and ready to begin the next.........soon!!

Darlene

Kim said...

It's a hard balance to be in between home and Kaz. Emotions run wild but soon it will be over and Alia will be home forever.

Kim

(PS - I have never seen "It's a Wonderful Life.")

Karen said...

It is a wonderful life isn't it?

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Wishing you all the best!