Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I've Got Your Nose (Official Bonding Day 2)

Visit with Alia
There is a window in the kitchen that looks out to the spot where our driver picks us up in the morning. The sheer on the left side is stretched. I think of the people who stayed here before us doing the exact same thing we do - checking every 2 minutes for the driver who will take us to visit the child we hope to adopt some day soon.

When we arrived today, Alia was asleep on her tummy and a rattle we left in the cabinet was in her crib. She woke up immediately and looked perplexed for a minute or so, then we were rewarded with a smile of recognition.

We did more of the same today. We carried her around for a while first thing instead of going into undress and massage mode. This seemed to relax her a lot more - no heavy breathing and no desperate looks for the bottle. I tried to just hold her today. We did some reading though. She continues to grab for things like books, Scott's nose and Wedgina. She also held her bottle today!

I try to imagine what she has been doing until she met us. I doubt that there has been a lot of variation (I don't think she has ever been outside). I try to imagine being in a vacuum for months, then experiencing so many new sights, sounds, feelings and textures. It has to feel overwhelming.

All that said, she seemed more relaxed today. She didn't crazily scarf down her bottle - she took breaks and looked to see what was going on around her.

Life in Kokshetau
Lunch - look a mayo & veggie salad
We haven't done much else today. After our visit, we went to the Next Store to use the ATM with our interpreter. She didn't even know there was one there . . . I don't think she believed me until she saw it. Perhaps people don't typically use them here (?). I wanted her to go with us in case it was in Russian. There was an English option and it worked! It gave us Tenge from our little, old credit union in Carbondale. One of the families here before us had one of their cards eaten at a bank ATM, so I was a bit concerned.

Who needs to do anything else today?! Actually, Scott is preparing for a walk as I write. I need to do some grading. I think my brain may be somewhat recovered from the jet lag.

I made a Russian-style salad for lunch . . . tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic, salt & pepper, and MAYO! I figure if we aren't eating horse meat, I could at least experience the culture through its salads. Thanks for the inspiration, Kim. I won't be eating them for 2 months though!

As you can see from the subtitle of the post, we did not start "official" bonding until yesterday after the holiday. So, we are still on schedule for returning on 9/18. That means more time with Alia!

We are experiencing our first day without water. Imagine coming home and finding that the water is shut off - no water main break, nothing . . . just no water. I keep turning on the faucet - I don't have Kazakh patience :). It is colder today - in the 50s. We are actually enjoying it. It is a nice change from the heat we experienced last week.

I don't really miss things from home (granted, we do seem to have it pretty easy where we are staying) - I just miss people . . . Luca, friends and family.

A big P.S.
Do you have friends who have much more faith in your ability to do things than you? I am so very lucky to have one of those friends - my dear, dear friend Susan Lee (I have to use her last name since there are about 5 Susans around here). I have a confession to make. I have not made pierogies from scratch. I am so incredibly flattered that she believes I could here. Well, maybe I could, but I haven't :). They are fresh from the frozen food section of The Next Store.

The title of the book will have to be Frozen Pierogies in Kazakhstan.

P.S.S. I will start posting every other day or so unless there is something monumental to report.

P.S.S.S. Please listen to this episode of "This American Life". Some of it is about adoption, all of it is about misconceptions. I really think you will like it.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Only 2? Hmm... I like your outward perspective- more days with your precious girl before you have to head back.

Well her grasp is surely sturdy, and her eye sight clear! She has settled in the baby profession of nose grabbing quite well and efficiently. :-)

I loved/lived on tomatoes, cucumbers, little squares of fresh cheese, drizzled with olive oil and red wine vinegar (at least it was a pink vinegar of some sort!), sprinkled with salt and pepper. Basil and/or cilantro when I could find it. Your salad brings back many memories!

I'm glad the heavy breathing and cold seems to be going away. It just seems so much harder to suffer through them as a baby.

Yay on the ATM! It is so handy and actually a bit of a relief to just have a working one nearby whether it gets used or not.

Susan said...

HOW WONDERFUL that you were treated with a smile of recognition. I think that is like my favorite part of the whole day!
That is wonderful that she recognizes you and is enjoying you guys and grabbing your nose. :)

I love her lil hands....you do such a great job of posting pictures and great narrative too!

That salad sounds delish (hold the mayo though..)
my tummy is all better..and i was starving today! I had a new salad...it had eggplant, tomatoes, cukes, and SOY SAUCE! If i had known soy sauce, i might have said OH NO THANKS, but i didn't, and it was quite tasty! Joe works with a gal from Ecaudor and she said the reason most people get sick is because of eating salads because the locals wash them in tap water.
Maybe that is why my tummy went crazy the other day.....but i have been eating salads here for awhile...who knows.

I think CIPRO works magic, or maybe that combined with pepto,and pepcid..not sure!

We have yet to use an ATM, but i see them a lot. We have also yet to use our credit cards. We have seen a lot of places that take them though.

glad you get more visits with your sweetie before you go. :)
I really enjoy your blog!

marsrob said...

It sounds like the bonding is going beautifully. And sometimes it is nice not to do so much, you know? We found that bonding with Aila was soo intense emotionally that we sometimes just wanted to hang at the apt. afterwards and digest the experience. We also watched the entire first season of Heros during our bonding period. Good thing we did. It was the last tv we watched for a LONG time! Smile.

Tracy said...

SOunds like you all are figuring life out pretty well in KAZ. Your little one is coming along. I am happy to hear she is relaxing with you both.

I am so happy for you.

Tracy

Kim said...

What a great outlook that you have on being back at day 2.

Listen salad for 2 months is a great diet! :) I was afraid of the meat and would have none of it. We also did pasta with just about every veggie in it. Oh and pizza!

I have given up reading my morning news for your blog while the kids eat breakfast. The news is too depressing, especially this week. :)

Great that the ATM worked, I was too afraid to use it. Looking back we would probably leave more cash at home instead of wearing it through 3 airports!

Kim

leevanschaik said...

Well you have time to make your homemade pierogies....remember how therapeutic the kneading of the dough can be? (ask me the last time I made dough, and I am here in the comfort of my home). Love the picture of Luca and the stories. I think about you all every day. Snuggle the little one for all of us!

terri said...

A smile! Recognition! Roudy & I just wanted to leave a little comment to say we have been reading along with you, thrilled to hear the details, full of such happiness for you both. xoxoxo!

Jennifer said...

Only every other day?!?! Oh no!! I'm devestated!

Susan said...

C'MON...every other day is boring.
WE WANT EVERYDAY.

please post.
I am sad.

Sincerely,
Susan

Alysa said...

What long little fingers baby Alia has! All the better to grab noses and books and whatever she fancies!

Sorry your bonding start date was delayed, but great that you see at as more time with Alia. Sounds like things are going well.

I'm impressed with your cooking and salad making, regardless of whether the ingredients are homemade or frozen. I'm already trying to figure out what I can take with me to add variety. I was living on pasta, yogurt and cheese last trip and really felt deprived of fresh veggies/fruit and meat.

marsrob said...

Ok, I know you are posting every other day or so, but I am already in withdrawl!! Hope you had a great day today!!!

Karen said...

It's amazing how creative you can get with so few ingredients. How many ways can I use a carrot, an onion? Some times you can't find a banana for days. Buying groceries became a real adventure for us.

Day 2--13 more to go!!!! Imagine how stimulated Alia will be once she leaves the confines of the hospital.

McMary said...

I love reading about Alia--your time with her is so precious.
i am also glad to see perogies in Kaz--I love preogies. Oh I forgot for a minute I won't be going to Kaz but hopefully they have them in Russia or whereever I end up. I could eat them repeatedly.