Thursday, September 4, 2008

She Speaks!: Official Bonding Days 3 & 4

Visits with Alia
Yesterday, Alia revealed a bit of her personality. As expected it was adorable. She was having a little tummy time when she started to babble out of nowhere. She has made two types of noises so far - giggles and whines. This was different. She was telling us a very serious story complete with furrowed brow.

Up to this point, I have felt a little like a glorified babysitter who brings her own supplies (diapers & clothes) to the job. I know I can love this child. I knew it from the first day, but I haven't really had an inkling about who she is. Yesterday, after a week, I felt the beginnings of emotional attachment. I realize that attachment and bonding is a long process, but it is reassuring to feel a bond starting to form. And, this was sparked by Alia "speaking" to us.

It really was a banner day - the babble as well as grabbing a ball and rocking on her tummy like she wants to crawl. She seems pretty fascinated by the ball - maybe because of the contrasting colors. And, again while on her tummy, she seemed to try to propel herself forward. She does a great job pushing up with her hands, however her legs seem like jelly.

Today it is cooler and overcast - a soup day . . . a tea day. The visit matched - mellow and calm. Alia is quicker to smile everyday we see her. She had already had her bottle, so she was in a fine mood when we arrived. We tried to interest her in toys for a while - not really having any of that though. Scott and I took turns walking her back & forth and swaying in our little room. She did this maneuver in which she grabbed Scott's nose and sucked her thumb at the same time - that's talent :). I discovered that Alia really likes it when I touch her cheek lightly with my nose. She made some different sounds . . . squeals of delight. These sounds . . . oh these sounds - somehow they connect straight to my heart. After a long bout of the hiccups, she fell asleep for a long, long time - lots of heavy breathing, baby snores (everything babies do is cute!), and heavy sighs.

I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about leaving her for 3 weeks or so. That won't happen for a few weeks, but it seems cruel.

We spoke with the doctor at the Baby Hospital yesterday. She went over Alia's birth and health history with us. She really is very healthy. The doctor reported some bronchitis as well as some typical post-Soviet diagnoses. We did run most everything by our international adoption doctor (Dr. Davies - we love him!) and all is well. We had decided when we got here that it didn't really matter what the doctors said. We knew we wanted to adopt Alia regardless. However, it is good to know if there is anything we need to begin researching or planning for.

Random Adoption Stuff
We changed our flight to leave from Astana instead of Almaty. That way, we will have a car ride and 3 flights rather than a car ride and 4 flights (and a night in Almaty). Somehow this makes me so very happy. Our trip here was smooth, but it was still a lot! I am pleased to not get on and off one more airplane.

I wish I would have brought some undershirt type onesies. Not sure what I was thinking - we have about 1000 of those at home. I have some 2 piece outfits which really need an undershirt underneath to keep her completely covered. One morning a group of nurses came in to check on Alia while we were still there and her stomach was exposed. One of them pulled down her shirt and said something to me - I stood there smiling & shrugging my shoulders like a non-Russian speaking idiot.

Life in Kokshetau
Our mornings are pretty full - we talk to Luca, check emails, blogs. Today I chatted with Susan Serra, who should be celebrating Leeza's birthday about now. We are picked up around 10 for our visit, then we return to the cottage around 12:30. Sometimes we run errands after our visit, but others we come back here and eat lunch. I usually blog and Scott reads. He has been going for long walks in the later afternoon. I may go today - somehow I am always doing something.

I make dinner - last night it was pasta with jarred pasta sauce. I didn't love the sauce and I wish I could tell you why. It was more like eating thinned out tomato paste. I tried to doctor it up with sauteed onions, garlic & chiles, but it didn't seem to help. I am thinking fried eggs and potatoes tonight. I could try a tortilla espanola! As I wrote to my friend this morning - Kazakhstan is doing a lot to minimize my girthsome backside (dictionary.com does not recognize girthsome as an official word, but I really like it!).

Bordello style

I could write a lot about our "wackydoodle" house. The more I look, the crazier it is. There are 4 doors upstairs - one opens out, the others open in. The bathrooms have mazes of pipes running the perimeters. Things are built around the pipes - like our shower that we walk up a hefty step to get to. The tile work is interesting . . . some screws at some intersections, none at others. Some faucets have hot water on the right, others don't. And, the light fixtures - most of you know about the fanciful light fixtures - a different one in each room. I have dubbed ours the Art Nouveau room. The fixture in the living room is the Bordello one. All the light switches are outside of the room which makes perfect sense to us . . . the light is on BEFORE you enter the room.

According to Luba, we will be joined by another American family today. There was much gesticulating and pointing in the Russian-English dictionary to figure that out.

We will have company!

And, Kim, you didn't have to suffer through any RNC news this morning! Happy Friday!

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh what a wonderful post! That is so neat to hear about Alia babbling. I can almost picture it with that furrowed baby brow and pursed lips. She is definitely talented being able to do two separate things with her hands!

Have you tried the spice packets? We and another couple had a game. There was a whole spice rack at the store, and the spices were really cheap- $0.29 per packet. Of course we couldn't read them or actually understand what was inside (most were combinations of spices intended for a purpose). That was the game though. We would buy one each day, take it home, open it up, sniff it, then make a meal out of it. There was one (and of course I don't remember) that really helped the pasta/tomato sauce.

It's getting chilly in our neck of the woods too, and funny you mention soup as that's exactly what Mom M said last night as she served a hearty chicken noodle and vegetable soup for dinner. I guess Fall is quickly approaching.

Which is good because that means one day closer to you bringing home your Munchkin forever and ever!

BTW, I totally understand about 1 less flight. I'm glad you were able to get that switched.

Thank you for the update. I was excited when I checked this morning and saw a new post! And then laughed when I read about all the quirky things.

Susan said...

what a wonderfully heartfelt and full of love post!!! I can just imagine your sweet lil girl smiling and grabbing Scott's nose and having fun times with her new parents!
I love the picture with her and the ball......so cute!

It is a soup day....I had soup for lunch, today and yesterday. Today it was Russian soup with pork, mushrooms and potatoes and a salad with cukes and tomatoes, hold the mayo. yum!
Sean has fish soup-it has salmon. He was not hungry after his huge piece of Leeza birthday cake.

Our water is going off...the whole city...for 2 days. either the 7th and 8th or 9th and 10th. I am already filling my empty water containers and big pots full of water so we can flush.
I don't care so much about a shower, but i do care about flushing!
LOL!

I am glad you can take one less flight...Joe is trying to get back for court and the flight scene is not looking that great...5 stops...ick!

I'm impressed that you are cooking!
I have successfully used our coffee maker and our microwave! GO ME!

I read one book since I've been here, but that's it. I thought i'd read a lot more, but i haven't.
Maybe after sean leaves?

Great talkin to you this morning and I am so glad that the bonding is going so well and your Alia has a lil personality that you are adoring!
you can bring onesies back when you come for court..no worries!

Baby Kaz Moore said...

So wonderful to hear that you're doing well. I'm starting a 2nd blog, if you'd like an invite, please let me know. smooretexan@yahoo.com

All the best! Susan & Griffin from Austin

Kim said...

Oh Happy Friday is right! :)

Your ports are great. I am happy to read that Alia is doing so well with you guys and you are enjoying every minute of it. She seems like a sweetheart. We had the same feeling with Noah, it did not matter what the IA doctor said. We didn't use one with Josh.

I wish it was soup weather here! It is still unbelievably hot and I am not enjoying it. I am jealous when Susan talks about needing a sweater!

Awesome that you were able to change your flights. You are right, one less plane ride makes a great difference in your emotional well being.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Chris and Heather said...

Your little Alia sounds so wonderful! I am glad things seem to be going smoothly for you, and I appreciate your tips on little things you wish you had brought. We also have decided to fly home direct from Astana, unless by some miracle we are able to get a court date on our first trip. After reading your and DND's posts, I cannot wait to begin our journey!

Thad and Ann said...

loving your posts. Glad Alia is babbling, oh the baby sounds...I miss those.

I always got such a bang out of the decor in Kaz. :)

marsrob said...

This is a joyous post! So glad you are starting to see Alia's personality emerge! Isn't it just an amazing feeling!?!! And, I LOVE your description of a "tea" day. Ooh! Makes me want to run downstairs and brew some tea in your honor!!!

Matthew Ruley said...

In honor of tea day, Ill have a cup of coffee since we couldnt' get it in Kaz!

Love the description of the apartment and the photo of the chandelier; when we were in kaz I was sure the kids were going to break the chandelier (they were so hyper). Do you have separate toilet and bath rooms?

Youre brave to think you can cook from scratch - I gues because we were in the apt after the got the kids, we never had the opportuntiy to make anything serious.

Anyway, congrats and we are so happyt for you. Good news from the IA doctor to confirm your decision!

Tricia said...

I am happy for you that you are bonding with your girl. It is so special. It sounds like she is enjoying her time with you. Just wanted to tell you that they have a transit hotel in the Astana airport if you need to stay there. Keep that belly covered - that is a big no no! LOL. It is something how you can eat well there, yet still lose weight. Glad you are taking time for yourselves, too. You will be busy when you get home!

Trudi said...

So glad you got a rosy health picture of your sweet Alia. I also take it as a breakthrough that she is talking to you so seriously - I am sure telling you all about her life while she was waiting for you to come. The more time you can spend with her, the more she will reveal about herself. Soon, very soon we pray, you won't have to worry about juggling everything - you'll all be together and wow will she be excited to find out there's a Luca waiting for her!

qmiller said...

What a wonderful post! Alia sounds as if she is really getting to know you----is there anything as sweet as baby sounds??

I was also impressed by the lighting in Kaz. As a lover of indirect/table lamps, I was glad to be home.

Enjoy the weekend and your new housemates!

Quaintance
(who also loved Dr. Davies)

Anonymous said...

You're a pretty creative cook! I either ate out or ate crackers with Kazakh wine for dinner ;-) And their version of Ramen noodles...

Alia sounds like she has blossomed in the short time you have known her. It's going to be so difficult to leave her but just "keep your eye on the prize."

Shannon
p.s. thanks for the emotional support. it's been a hell of a week.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

What a beautiful post. We are so happy for you that you are seeing your little girl grow right before your eyes. As you know, you'll really have a chance to bond with her and help her develop once she is home. We look back on the baby house visits now and we can't believe how much more we were able to "really" parent once we were home -- so we understand your feelings.

We are very impressed that you are cooking every day!

Is the other family that is arriving going to be sharing the cottage with you?

Sending lots of love and support your way.

Diana said...

You are a very good writer!

I suspect in the coming days you will see Alia start 'coming out of her shell'.

I know your heart must be aching to know you will be leaving Alia in a couple weeks. Bob and I are planning multiple trips and leaving our little one is something I am not looking forward to. I was talking to one of the officers at our bank and she said her daughter and son-in-law made SEVEN trips to Guatemala before they were able to bring their daughter home.

Stacy said...

I Loce reading about your visits with Alia. It brings me back to when we were visiting Haven, Oh my how time flies. Soup yum, I am ready for soup weather here in Missouri! I bet you are missing Luca, I didn't reliaze he was going to start kindergarten. Addison just started too and boy is she tires 8-3 is a long time for a 5 yera old. Can't wait to "meet" "SaskAlia" LOL!!

Karen said...

Isn't it wonderful when you feel that first emotional connection with your child? I first felt it when Garrett's caretaker told me he asked where we were (Sundays we weren't allowed any visits). It meant the world to me that we were missed.