Monday, September 15, 2008

I Think She Likes Us (Last Official Bonding Day!)

Today was our last Official Bonding Visit! We are one step closer to bringing Alia home.

Dr. Natalia came to speak with us about Alia's development over the last few weeks as well as her health history today. Good thing I wrote that blog entry yesterday because I easily rattled off all the changes we have seen. Then she shared information about her birth parents, her birth and the first few months of her life.

Alia was asleep when the doctor and interpreter came in. She had an early bottle and there was much playing and giggling today, so she was sleeping hard in Scott's arms. As we talked, she woke up. The doctor spoke to her trying to get her to smile. Alia looked a little concerned and uneasy. She hunkered down close to Scott and laid her head on his chest. She carefully watched everyone, but did not crack a smile. I was thinking, "Alia, show Dr. Natalia how much fun you have been having with us! This is important! Smile - please."

Our visitors left and Scott said that Alia has never done that. If she is awake, she pushes off of your chest with her arms so she can look at the person holding her or the other person sitting on the cot. He said it was like she was scared and looking for comfort. AH HA! That's what kids look to their PARENTS for - reassurance and security.

She is bonding with us . . . she is.

15 comments:

Joby and Marla said...

I can't believe you have already finished your bonding period. It seems like just yesterday that you were leaving to go to Kaz. Does the time go by in Kaz this quick or is it only when you are reading a blog?
I missed a couple of post over the weekend but caught up last night.
I know Luca is missing you & is ready for you to make him some pancakes. We ate pancakes yesterday & I thought about him. I would love to have the recipe that you use.
Marla

babsinatl said...

Aw. So sweet. So very sweet. Now I'm a little teary-eyed. What happens now? Bonding is over? I'll have to look back through the posts because I can't remember what happens now. Do you have to leave her? Eck. How crushing is that that you will have to leave her just when she is depending on your visit each day. This is just unbelievable to be able to share this journey with you. I can't wait to see her little face - a picture.

Karen said...

Yes, Alia is definitely your little girl. Congratulations on making it through the bonding period. Now it's on to the next stage!!!! Yippeeee.

Susan said...

yes she is bondign with you and yes she likes you!!!!!

yay!!! I can SO relate to everything you are saying.

It's the BEST feeling in the world. :)

The new game the caregivers do is when I'm holding Leeza, they try to get her to come to them. They have her smiling and laughing (she loves them!) but yet, she turns her head into her mommy.
They laugh and smile.
This one caregiver that used to scare us is very friendly now. Joe was commenting on it today. I think they just have to get to know us to see we really are GOOD people we really LOVE Leeza as our daughter.

I am sure that Alia and her nurses and doctors see the same thing!!

Very heartwarming to hear, but I am not suprised at all. :)

I know you are sad to leave Alia, but happy to see Luca!! I'm sure he is so excited to see you guys!

Great post, i'm SOOOOOOO happy for you!

marsrob said...

Congrats on your last day of bonding! WOW! Yes, you ARE attaching! YIPEE!

Jennifer said...

Oh, I have tears in my eyes. How wonderful!

Congratulations on the last day of bonding! Woo hoo!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Is it really that time already....your last bonding day? It seems amazing!

As I was reading about Alia's response to awaking and seeing the doctor....I thought the same thing. She was scared and wanted Scott. So cute!! Wonderful news!

Eileen

The Metz Family said...

Thanks for adding me to the blog list! Love yur blog, and congrats on competing visitation! Take care, and enjoy the remainder of your adventure!

Kristi
mom to Jackson and Ethen

both Kokshetau natives!

Tricia said...

She definitely likes you! What a great feeling for you to feel. All of your efforts with her have paid off and it will only get better.

Anonymous said...

Heck yeah, you are her MOMMY AND DADDY and she knows it! Wow, from this end it has flown by. What a great story to have another family with you (uh, that you actually like)...

I think of Luca every time we eat pancakes. I know you are anxious to get home to him.

Keep on truckin'
Shannon

Alysa said...

Aren't those first few signs of bonding just precious? Of course she knows already who her mommy and daddy are!

Time just flies! Do you know yet when you go to court?

dnd82001 said...

Yes it does goes just as fast over in Kaz as it does here - I remember thinking that as the days past and it is bittersweet for all.

I'm sure you are anxious about court but am sure all will go smoothly and Alia already is your daughter - the judge will just make it official.

Stay well and hugs to all!

Darlene

Tracy said...

Last day of bonding already. Wow... that seemed to fly by. I am so happy for you all that she is bonding with you and becoming attached already. Guicker than you know it you will be home with your beautiful little girl.

Tracy

Kim said...

How fast that went by! (Well for us back here anyway). One step closer to bringing Alia home, it feels great - doesn't it!

Suzette & Tate said...

It seems like you were just getting ready to leave for Kaz. I can't believe your bonding time is already done. YEAH!!! I am excited to hear about your court date.

Suzette