Saturday, August 30, 2008

She likes books! (Bonding Day 2)

Today we had our first full visit with Alia.

A blonde-haired little boy snuck into the visitation room just after we arrived. He was probably 2 or 3 (?). Scott played peek-a-boo with him for a bit and he didn't want to leave. Our interpreter came in and shooed him out. She told us he was headed to the orphanage in Tschuchinsk. Since this is a hospital we don't see any of the other kids. We hear them sometimes, but we don't see them. Alia stays by herself in the visitation room during the bonding period.

She is such a sweet girl. The only sound she makes is a giggle! When we arrived, she greeted us with a smile, but seemed tired already. She does seem to have a bug - congested and a little warm. We changed her into the clothes we brought - we are asked to provide clothes and diapers during the bonding period. We also gave her a little baby wipe bath.

We showed Alia the toys we brought today - a book and a doll. She was not so interested in the doll, but the book - she was fascinated by the book. Scott read it to her, pointing at the pictures and she carefully, quietly followed his finger with her eyes. She was a little fussy, so Scott walked her back and forth until she fell asleep. He then gave her to me and she slept on my chest for about 20 minutes until a nurse brought her bottle. It was so amazing having that little being with us snoozing away.

She sucked down a pretty large bottle in no time - it looked like it was larger than 8 ounces - maybe 12? They feed the babies warm keffir, a fermented milk that is like liquid yogurt. That's it. Babies don't have solid food or even cereal until they leave the hospital.

After a burp or two, she was ready to play for a while. She sat in my lap and we read the book again. At one point, I swear she pointed just like I was. She does not sit up, but wants to very badly. If we are not holding her she wants to be vertical. She rolls over and sort of pushed up on her side today. She is a little stiff. I thought I had read that babies are often stiff because they don't get out of their cribs a lot. Is that true? We have been stretching out her arms and legs and hands whenever we get a chance.

Scott can really get her giggling. He lifts her in the air or tickles her and she loves it. The visit was over before we knew it. We had to leave her in her crib all by herself. She started fussing when we laid her down, but we had to leave. After visits are probably the worst time of the day for me . . . between the jet lag and having to leave her . . . it's hard.

We haven't gone out on our own yet. We may walk down to the "Pick-Up" store later on to pick up a few more things (hence, the reason our interpreter calls it the "pick-up" store). We went yesterday, but I discovered I bought liquid soap instead of lotion the hard way. I am a little itchy today :). I also bought 2 bottles of shampoo instead of 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of conditioner. Grocery prices are pretty similar to the U.S. - maybe a bit cheaper. Name brand diapers seem a little more expensive, but that's about it.

And, yes, we were followed around by some store employees a bit. It didn't bother me as much as I had thought it would.

Generally, we can get the same or similar stuff as we can at home. So far, I only wish I had brought a few envelopes for sorting stuff like money and a cardigan to wear around the cottage.

The jet lag is okay. I have been getting up around 5 or 5:30 a.m. and pretty much crash in the afternoon. Today, I feel better than yesterday though. Getting up early is actually great because we can Skype with Luca right before he goes to bed.

Okay - now I am rambling. Do svidaniya!

15 comments:

Sandi said...

Great post. I am so happy she loves books. It seems like she is getting to know you guys and that is great.

I am happy Skype works so you can talk to Luca, I hope he is doing well with grandma.

Have a great night and looking forward to more updates.

Sandi

Patrick & Eileen said...

Your time with Alia sounds sweet. I am certain with your love and care that she will be sitting up before you know it.

It must have been quite a warm feeling to have her sleep in your arms. How cute that she took an interest in the book that you brought with you.

You mentioned that you're in a cottage. Will you be posting photos?

Good to hear that you're feeling better each day. That jet lag can really get to you!

Take care,
Eileen

Anonymous said...

How hard that must of been to have to put her back in that crib! I bet in 2 weeks she will be so much stronger! How great is that that she likes books? I am glad you are doing well and able to talk to Luca, who I hope is doing ok as well.

Enjoy your time.

Heidi

Baby Kaz Moore said...

So glad to hear things are going well. Griffin fell asleep amost every day I was with him. He didn't have much stamina. I got some great photos during those times. He, too, was a little stiff so I moved his arms and legs alot. He really enjoyed it. Take care, all the best, Susan from Austin

Kim said...

Of course your daughter would love books! Fantastic. It is so hard to put our babies back in the crib but with each time you know that one day soon you will be able to pick her up and leave forever.

A "cottage?" What is that like?

Glad you are adjusting, each day does get easier. It took us about a week to get on track, with the help of Tylenol PM. :)

Can't wait to read tomorrow.

Kim

Matthew Ruley said...

Great post - Alia sounds adorable! WHen will you have photos? Matt and I were cruel on that...

Diana said...

AMAZING! Simply amazing!

Jennifer said...

It all sounds so wonderful! Even the jet lag doesn't sound too bad.

The "lotion" story made me laugh- or maybe it was just the way you told it. (Sorry.) I hope the itchiness goes away.

Yeah, the stiffness is pretty common and will fade shortly with all your TLC. Makkhabat gave us instructions on some baby PT and massages to do a couple times each visit. I'll email you offline with them.

Susan said...

that is great she likes books..she is a smartie pants like her brother!!

How old is she?
Intersting what the feed the kiddo's...I guess it depends on age? They take the babies off bottles here at 9 months, and no kefir at all...some kind of tea, some kind of fruit juice that Leeza loves, and the milk with cookies or bread in it.

the visits really fly by....i'm glad you are having fun with her...it will continue to get better.
I didn't even bring dolls for Leeza...I thought she might be too young? I just remember what Sean liked...but he did like his stuffed elephant he slept with.
Leeza likes her books, and her stacking cups best I think.

glad you're doing well!!!

Joby and Marla said...

Sorry to disappoint you. No news yet but I am hoping this week will be the one!!!

It warms my heart just reading your post about Alia. She is picking books over dolls. She is a smart girl!!!!! She must already be taking after her mom.

Kami said...

A book lover?? I couldn't imagine anything more perfect for your family..

I am excited that everything is going so well!!!

Can't wait to hear more updates!!

Thad and Ann said...

yay, she loves books! Books are well loved at our house too. :) Yes, she is very "normal", Gunnar couldn't sit up either & we rubbed his arms & legs with lotion everyday. His one arm was alot weaker then the other so I bought a wrist rattle so it would interest him & his weak arm became strong quickly. you will be so amazed how quickly she catches up once you have her full time. :) Also normal that she has a cold, both our boys were sick the entire time they were at the BH.

Karen said...

That's great that she already has such an attention span—she sounds adorable. Only now is Garrett asking for books, which thrills me to no end. He's a big Curious George fan.

I forgot about the store clerks following you from aisle to aisle. It seemed every market had a different set of rules. The bigger grocery stores were okay if you broke apart the yogurt packs of four. But when I tried that at our local "pick up" store I got scolded and was told to buy all four. I felt like such a criminal.

Tricia said...

Alia could be stiff if they kept her bundled a lot, too. Stretching is good. You can do range of motion with all of her joints and make it a fun game. Also, some massage of her muscles will probably help, too, before you do the range of motion. It is great for bonding and gets the circulation going to her muscles to warm them up. I watched the massage therapist at the baby house do it on the babies and she was pretty rigorous. The kids tolerated it well.

Trudi said...

Fabulous news that she likes books, and I agree with the others - she just hasn't grown into dolls yet! I love her name, btw.