Saturday, August 16, 2008

Reflecting on Kazakhstan Adoption

I have read list serves and stalked Kazakhstan adoption blogs for a while - more than a year now. I have seen a lot of families come home with their kids. I have also seen a lot of families withdraw from the Kazakhstan program and a few come home without children. When I first subscribed to the Kazakhstan_Adoption list, the DeLorenzos were in-country and going through what looked to be living hell. After losing a referral from AIP before they even traveled, they began bonding with a child and his mother returned. They started bonding with another child and he became unavailable for some reason. They returned without a child. There were more families who came home without children after them.

There has also been this spectre of pending legislation that would limit adoptions for parents who are over 50 and singles. And, there was the suspension in March . . . and, now the requirement of Hague compliance for agencies before September 15.

Commonwealth has closed its doors leaving so many families devastated. And, it looks like several Children's Hope International clients have been informed that their dossiers have been returned from the MFA because they requested a particular gender in their application. Is this limited to this agency? Is it because the agency submitted too many applications? Now, more families are struggling with what to do next.

I know some choose adoption before going the biological route. Lots of families also look to adoption after they have had problems conceiving or gone through loss. To have to go through additional loss - an agency closing its doors or coming home without a child - is heartbreaking. It is unfair. Do governments see this? Do they see individual families and their struggles? Do they see the children whose futures hinge on having a family who will love and take care of them?

The last couple of days I have been thinking about the families that didn't make it or are struggling with the process and I am sorry. I just want to tell you that - I am so sorry. I hope you find your way to your child soon and that the joy you experience then erases the pain you are feeling now.

9 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

It's been an amazing ride going through this adoption process. We know exactly what you're talking about. I'm just not 100% sure why the process needs to be so difficult?

I know that agencies are changing things as far as choosing the sex of the child. Because there is a large backlog of people who want girls. I know that there were very many people with Children's Hope International that specified girls. Now it sounds like Kaz is changing things about that as well.

This has been a struggle and I can't wait to finally get on that plane and go! If Pat wasn't being deployed then the urgency wouldn't be so bad.

I am glad things are working out for you!! I wish the same for everyone else too.

Eileen

Julie said...

My heart goes out to anyone with CHI in their Kaz program. CHI is not Hague approved and if the dossiers are coming back, will they even be able to resubmit after Sept 15? I hope they find a way to resubmit them.
Julie

Kim said...

It is so incredibly sad for the families and the children in Kazakhstan. Why does the government not understand or care that by making it harder, more and more children will not have forever families! It is disgusting.

dnd82001 said...

It seems no matter what the path is to have a family people are faced with so many roadblocks - most are hit with the huge financial impact, which in itself is so unfortunate.

Yet the world is filled with children who need parents and parents who want the children yet the systems in place really show that no one is seeing what it is this is really about - the children.

Heartbreaking for all.

Darlene

Diana said...

No Doubt this process is VERY DIFFICULT! We switched from CHI in Dec 07 and we are VERY glad we did. However, not all of the difficulties we've faced were due to our agency. We had incredible difficulty getting through USCIS (16 weeks and our congressman's help). We've had to update our home study to remove the word healthy. We had 25 plus documents rejected from our state for apostille (Notary issues). FBI fingerprints rejected TWICE (they couldn't read them). Medicals redone 4 times.

Now we are in our 14th week trying to get our dossier passed though the embassy. And I learn yesterday dossiers are getting rejected because PAP's specify gender. I'll be contacting our agency tomorrow morning as ours says Boy 9 - 30 months. Uggggg

Best of luck as you travel. We are following along!!

Tracy said...

I am sooooo happy for you that your time has come. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts for the best possible trip you could have. I know that it has been a long road but you stayed the course and are on your way. We are following in your steps to lead where this bumpy road will take us.

Tracy

Karen said...

Amen.

Just as heartwrenching, many of the children in the orphanages in Kaz aren't available for adoption. In Garrett's preschool alone (Uralsk), only 5% were cleared from the registry. I was shocked to learn this.

Karen said...

Amen.

Just as heartwrenching, many of the children in the orphanages in Kaz aren't available for adoption. In Garrett's preschool alone (Uralsk), only 5% were cleared from the registry. I was shocked to learn this.

Susan said...

This process is indeed difficult.
all the blog reading will come in handy. Even though we are not done yet by far, in our hearts, Leeza is our daughter and i just continue to hope and pray that all comes down as it should.

We truly do love it here and we're all so happy, despite the many tears I shed before we got here.
I continue to shed tears,but tears of joy this time, but also...thinking positive too (no negative thoughts allowed in my brain) that we get thru court, etc.

It's not over until you touch down at home with your kiddo in the ergo!

I am so glad I was so prepared-it's made a big difference!

I'm ecxited for you to meet Saskia. :)