Thursday, August 21, 2008

OH! So that's it.

Since we received our travel dates, my feet haven't touched the ground. I feel like I am barely here. I was speaking to one of my grad students today and he said, "You are in a liminal space." AH! That's it!

He is right and now I feel okay because I can name it and wikipedia can define it:
"Liminality (from the Latin word līmen, meaning "a threshold"[1]) is a psychological, neurological, or metaphysical subjective, conscious state of being on the "threshold" of or between two different existential planes, as defined in neurological psychology (a "liminal state") and in the anthropological theories of ritual by such writers as Arnold van Gennep, Victor Turner, and others.[citations needed] In the anthropological theories, a ritual, especially a rite of passage, involves some change to the participants, especially their social status.[2]

The liminal state is characterized by ambiguity, openness, and indeterminacy.[citations needed] One's sense of identity dissolves to some extent, bringing about disorientation. Liminality is a period of transition where normal limits to thought, self-understanding, and behavior are relaxed - a situation which can lead to new perspectives.[citations needed]

How long does this last?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how long it lasts, Angela, but I sure felt dumb reading your post ;-) Ha ha!!!

I know the clock is ticking, when exactly is liftoff??????

Love, Shannon

Patrick & Eileen said...

We are in the same space!

Eileen :)

Patrick & Eileen said...

PS....that being said...we do not have travel dates but we're on the *threshold* of transistion :) Just waiting for that call.

Anonymous said...

No clue. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Diana said...

Liminal - That's my new vocabulary word for the day. Sounds like a cool place to be. Back in the 70's we used to.......

Kim said...

It lasts until the plane lands back in the US with "Saskia" in tow. Then you can breathe again. :)

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh! That is the most perfect thing I have ever heard for this stage. Amazing.

One of the reasons I like you so much is because you expand my vocabulary!

I would say for me the next threshold to pass through was Gotcha Day, but it was totally over once we were home and jet lag wore off.

Susan said...

I felt like that until we got on the plane.

then, when we got to Kostanai, I was kinda numb, tired, excited...and it all happened so fast. I was happy it happened fast, cuz I was so nervous.
When we walked into the baby house, I cried. I was just excited that we were THERE AND WE WERE ABOUT TO MEET OUR KIDDO. There is nothing else like it!!

You are very close to being on the plane.

then you'll meet your kiddo, and get in your routine,and you'll BE SO HAPPY you'll wonder why you worried so much.
:)

Susan said...

That is a perfect description isn't it? Just hearing that made me recall exactly how I was feeling not so very long ago.

So exciting isn't it?