Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Keeping Healthy

A Day of Prevention
We have put off immunizations and requests for medication until this week. Today, we got our first Hepatitis A & B and Diphtheria/Tetanus. Hepatitis A needs 2 weeks to offer full protection . . . hopefully, we won't have any problems. I may be able to get typhoid from my general practitioner. That needs to be taken over the course of 6 days.

CDC also recommends rabies - no thanks!

My GP has prescribed Cipro and a sleeping pill to help with the jet lag. We also have melatonin, so we are pretty much covered for sleep :). The international adoption doctor also prescribed some things to take along for the baby as well as syringes in case anyone needs injections or blood draws.

A tip for those who haven't traveled yet - go to your county health department for the Hepatitis series & Diphtheria/Tetanus. It was $77 for those shots. From what I have read and heard, travel clinic are much more expensive and insurance does not always cover these shots.

I have talked to people who have gotten shots and not had any problems. I have also spoken with those who skipped them all together and were fine as well. My thinking was I didn't want to take a chance.

It does seem like the Cipro is really important. I have read about a number of PAPs who have gotten sick - sinus infections, stomach "issues", even food poisoning - and the Cipro seemed to knock out whatever ailed them.

Less than a week until our encounter with germs halfway around the world!

P.S. Thanks for all of you who left comments for my "Roll Call" post. If you haven't let me know you are still out there - please do. Thanks!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I'm with you, better safe than sorry. My arm hurt for about a day after the shots. Ouch! Maybe I am just a wimp. :)

Kim

Patrick & Eileen said...

I'm also with you. Being in the military my husband has to have all kinds of shots and if he can handle it so can I. It did hurt but it's short term.

I remember when I posted on our blog about getting our immunizations and a woman tried to talk me out of it. I'm sorry but we don't want to chance it - for us it was a given that we would get our shots.

Eileen

Susan said...

we had tons of shots....but i wanted to be safe than sorry. I went to the health dept first, but then went to the travel clinic because it was much nicer and i liked them more. LOL

we got cipro, but have not touched them (thank goodness)
none of us have had any stomach issues at all. We don't drink the water, but we do wash our dishes with it and shower with it.

Joe is prone to sinus infections and we should have thought of that before we came. He got antiobiotics the very week we left, but got another one when we got here. I think because he is so prone to them, he was tired, and then the kids have runny noses and our lil buddy Rustam had bronchitis. I think they all contributed.

I probably did overkill on the shots, but I abhor being sick and I never am sick, so didnt want to deal with it over here for sure!!

You are gonna love the food..SO YUMMY!

wow...next Tuesday...here you come!!!

FABULOSO!!

babsinatl said...

"I may be able to get typhoid from my general practitioner."

How awful! If I were you, I'd find another GP then! ;)

marsrob said...

Good thing to get the shots. We didn't get rabies and we were fine. Ooh, that photo is painful!

Unknown said...

Hi Angela,

We're still here, reading when we can in the midst of the craziness in our life. I finally had a chance to sign on today and yours was the first blog I clicked on to see if you'd left yet. Can't wait to share the journey with you! Thanks for including us.

Heather

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Same with us, better safe than sorry. Our local county health department wouldn't provide us with ANY of our shots -- I was fortunate enough to have mine covered by insurance, but Glenn's was rejected for whatever reason (and we have the same insurance - go figure!) So, off to the travel clinic for him. You are so right -- he paid alot for those shots, but better safe than sorry for sure. We counting down the days with you!