Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fussy Feet (Bonding Day 3)

If Alia could speak I think she would say, "I just want to be held!"

When we arrived today she was HUNGRY, but we had about 1/2 hour to wait for her bottle. We tried to distract her with a little tummy time (she doesn't seem to mind it - Luca hated it), some books and a little massage and stretching. Thanks for the reassurance on the stiffness and suggestions for exercises. I recall reading about it, but wanted to be sure. My brain is still a little foggy.

She didn't cry for the bottle, however, she looked very concerned and distracted. When it arrived, Scott fed her and it was gone in 5 minutes flat - no exaggeration - a full Kazakh sized bottle in 5 minutes.

After the bottle, I thought she would play for a while. Perhaps we wore her out with the stretching and massage. She just wanted to be held and walked and swayed (I am trying to remember the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block). She fell asleep, then woke up when I tried to give her to Scott. We repeated this all over again with the same results. Finally, Scott got her back to sleep and she laid on me and slept so hard. And, that was about it. Oh - we did hear a new noise today. She giggles and makes a very subdued fuss noise. Today, she made more of a conversational sound. It was pretty cool. I was echoing her yesterday. I wonder if she was doing a little echoing of her own today.

We play music while we are there. A colleague of Scott's gave us a lot of classical music before we left. Bach seems to be appreciated. I have my Nano as well. We listen to Baby Einstein, Elizabeth Mitchell (if you haven't heard her, please check her out - awesome!) and Cowboy Junkies today - mellow music for a mellow day.

When we arrive on the hospital grounds my pulse starts racing and I get nervous. It is the funniest thing . . . I just get so excited to see her. When we leave her in her crib (she cried yesterday and today), I want to throw up. I get into this post-visit funk.

To remedy that we went out by ourselves today! We survived! It was only a trip to the Next Store (supermarket or "pick-up store"), but it felt good. When I was paying, the check-out woman said something to me in Russian - "Nyet Russki" I said. She said, "Oh" but continued speaking to me in Russian. The total was about 3000 Tenge and I gave her 4000. It seemed to have to do with that. I wonder if she wanted me to pay closer to 3000. I didn't have that anyway.

I believe I successfully located lotion. I wrote it out in Russian before we left. I also believe I found conditioner. I surreptiously opened the bottle and squeezed a little out. I didn't want to get busted by the grocery store "police".

We are confused about whether our bonding has officially started. Our in-country team in Almaty seemed to think that we would not start officially bonding until Tuesday because of the Constitution Day holiday. However, we signed the intention to adopt papers on Friday. So, it seems that we are on Day 3. I would love that. Things would be AHEAD of schedule! Should I even say that out loud for fear of tempting fate?!

6 comments:

Susan said...

awww i love her sweet feet!!! I love those baby feet!
How sweet she likes to cuddle...I love cuddly babies!!!

good for you for going to the store.
WE are fixing to go to the market...just Sean and I ....it's ENORMOUS and we have been once wtih Tatiana, but it's a 3 minute walk , if that.

I am not sure how it works in all regions, but our bonding started on the first day we met Leeza...on August 1st, even though it was only for 15 minutes.

She has very sweet feet.

I dressed Leeza today in one of her new outfits i found here and then took her out of it before i took her back. She was only in her diaper and she was LOVIN IT.
Sean was very nervous and having a spazz that someone would walk in and "bust us" for having her only her diaper. I was cracking up...LOL

Sandi said...

I love babies feet, and hers look so sweet. So happy you had another great visit.

Glad you ventured out on your own, it will at least make you feel a little more "at home" and maybe settled.

I am so sorry that your wave of emotions is a rollercoaster on your visits, that must be so hard. Just remember she is use to living at the maternity hospital and she is well taken care of. Even if it can you give you a little peace of mind.

Thinking about you guys and continue to send happy positive thoughts.
Sandi

Unknown said...

This all sounds just wonderful! Keep the updates coming!

scott m

Kim said...

Yes, I am sure the Russian lady wanted you to pay closer to the 3000 tenge. That is what we ALWAYS got "in trouble" for at our grocery store. The few times we had our interpreter with us, she would say "you need to give them exact change." Whatever!

Very very cute baby feet. I am so glad the visits are going well. I can't wait to "meet" Alia.

It would be great to be ahead of schedule, I hope you are right. Our bonding started the day we signed the papers.

Have a great day!

Tricia said...

Your place looks so spacious. Glad that you were able to venture out to the store. Before you know it, you will be running around town like the locals. I remember them saying something to me at the store and what they were asking me was if I wanted a bag and if so how many. We had to pay for the bags, so they would ask before finalizing the total. I think bag sounds like pahketa if that is what they are saying to you.

Jennifer said...

What a great photo. Little tiny, itty, bitty toenails. She has such long little toes to go with those long fingers. And those rounded calves totally complete the story of how quickly she consumes her bottle!

Congratulations for getting out and about so quickly. I remember the first time I was by a cashier who wanted something different (apparently) than what I was giving her. My brain was so fogged over, I couldn't make sense of the 4 digit numer on the checkout screen with all the odd looking coins in my hand. I just grabbed everything in my pocket in held it out to her open palmed. She picked through and found what she needed, but she must have thought, "This dumb woman can't even count! The numbers are the exact same in both languages, but SHE CAN'T COUNT!!" LOL!! Not one of my brightest moments, but I blame jet lag. :-)

I so hope you're ahead of schedule!

I love that she cuddles into you.

Please, please, please take a picture of her cuddling with you now (first couple of days- as if you haven't already, I'm sure!), and then when you are ready to post her full picture to the blog, post that one just for me! I love seeing cuddly babies just nestled into their parents. It's the sweetest thing.