Monday, August 18, 2008

Drum Roll Please!

Dossier #2 is DONE! I just returned from a jaunt to lovely Springfield, Illinois (I waved "hello" for you, Barb!) - home of our State Capitol and, more importantly, the Secretary of State's Index Office. Exciting stuff, I know! It was kind of a nail biter because you just never know if a document will be rejected for some random reason that only makes sense in the world of notaries and the state government.

BUT, alas, all 7 documents were Great Sealed without incident. I counted the staple sounds from the cubicle just so I wouldn't be surprised. While I was waiting I was reading Pema Chodron's The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times. She was instructing me to accept what is . . . to accept that the universe is constantly in flux . . . the only constant is change. . . to anticipate things is pointless. And, yet there I was trying to anticipate what was coming next by counting staple clicks. The irony. I have a lot to learn :).

While I was waiting, a young woman came in . . . breathless and confused. "Is this where I get something Apostilled (she pronounced it "A - post - eled")?" She explained it was for Thailand or South Korea. She wasn't sure yet. I wondered if she is at the beginning of her international adoption journey. I also wondered if I should correct her pronunciation of Apostille :). I felt like such a veteran . . . the symbolism of her at the beginning and us nearing the end was not lost on me.

On the drive home I got all choked up when I realized that we will meet the child who will hopefully be our daughter NEXT WEEK. I guess now that we have the papers, diaper rash cream, microfiber towels, Clif bars, syringes, melatonin, and all that other stuff, I am beginning to realize that this is really real (the multiple use of real is intentional).

Don't forget to let me know if you are still out there (see below). I don't mean to sound harsh with the "deleting" and all. I was just looking through my permissions list and wasn't sure who some people are and if they are still checking in.

Safe travels Darlene & Dennis and Regina & Milo!

18 comments:

annetta said...

Hang in there dear daughter! You are amazing! I am so looking forward to my stay in Carbondale and taking care of the equally amazing Luca.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm so excited for you! And yes, I've been reading lately. Maybe we'll even get a chance to talk on the phone before you go!! Take care!
Carla

Sandi said...

Next week, oh my gosh, it will be here before you know it. I am so so happy for you guys.... Your daughter is getting ready for her debut to meet mom and dad.

Cheers..

sandi

Kim said...

Wow - next week. Unbelievable and wonderful. I cannot wait to hear all about it. I am smiling ear to ear for you!

Anonymous said...

Next week, yahoo!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, Angela, I can't wait ;-)
Shannon

Patrick & Eileen said...

I'm like everyone else....next week!!! That's awesome :) The time will fly and you'll be there to meet your daughter. I sure can't wait to hear about that and photos too.

Eileen

Susan said...

You are a veteran!! I know how relieved i felt when the 2nd dossier is done.

I think you leave the same day that we have our pre-court hearing!
and joe leaves me the next day to go back and work until court.

I'm so excited for you.
:)
i'm excited to see where you are going too....to see where Saskia was born.
leeza is ecxited to know too!

:)

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gretchen said...

I'm still here and reading along. :)

Safe travels for you. I can't wait to read about your meeting. ;)

Alysa said...

Seven staple clicks and about the same number of days before you meet your daughter! Woo-hoo!! Sounds like you are ready to roll. Can't wait to read all about it!

Diana said...

Oh Yes the Springfield apostille office. We've been there twice and will be making a return trip next week. I've also FedExed documents to them and they did a great job getting them back to me. We like the Springfield office. The Chicago Indexing Office is awful! The employees are mean and rude. The office is located off a dingy hallway on the umteenth floor of a downtown building with parking 7 blocks away. Springfield is sooooo much better. We park right out front. When they did 75 documents we walked over and toured the capitol building. And the last time we took our dog and grandma along.

We excited for you and can hardly wait to hear about your travels.

marsrob said...

Oh my goodness you are almost on your way!!!!

April said...

Next Week? YEAH. I am so excited for you. I know leaving Luca will be difficult, but I also know that meeting your new little one will be such an emotional moment. Good luck. I probably won't be able to check in again before you leave but I'll be thinking of you next week and look forward to reading more...

April

Amy said...

Wooohoooooooo!!! That about sums up my feeling!! Can't wait to see you go!!!

Tracy said...

I am SOOOO... excited for you. Thanks for being sure I ma added to your adventure. I am glad to be reading ablong everyday.

Tracy

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on the completion of the dossier number 2!

1 week!!!! :-)

babsinatl said...

I'll be in STL this weekend. I'll wave for you! Since you've got all the technology bases covered, you'll still be posting while you're away, right? Because Luca's not the only one who will be anxious to hear from you!! Are you sleeping OK? I'd be lying awake every night, anticipating...

Laura's Blog said...

I had to laugh at A - post - eled because that was me not too long ago. LOL!

Laura