Sunday, April 6, 2008

The City of Big Shoulders

This is my favorite nickname for Chicago - The City of Big Shoulders. It is just so fitting. Why the trivia about favorite alternative names for cities? We just returned from a weekend trip to Chicago. Scott had a conference, so Luca and I headed up to meet him there on Friday.

Chicago will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the big city to visit when I was growing up in Northern Indiana. As a teenager I headed there for concerts and other fun. One specific one I recall is The Cure at Rosemont Horizon. As a young adult, I attended The School of the Art Institute of Chicago for my masters in art history. That was probably one of the best experiences of my life. I developed an incredible passion for learning there.

I was so happy to introduce Luca to the sights of Chicago. The last time he was there, he was only 9 months old! When we arrived on Friday, we headed straight to the Adler Planetarium. He was clearly in his element bouncing around from one experience to the next. He loved the gravity well/black hole simulation and the mock Mars Rover that you could control using a computer. We had an incredibly tasty meal at Mediterra on South Dearborn. Luca demolished an entire flatbread pizza and double chocolate cookie. Scott and I had two really good sandwiches and the best french fries.

On Saturday, we had breakfast with Jason and Jenn - a couple who used to work with Scott. We have not seen them in a couple of years. It was so fun catching up with them! We still miss their presence here - there is no doubt. After breakfast, we went to the Nature Museum and The Lincoln Park Zoo with my friend Michele and her two kids. I have been friends with Michele since 4th grade when she drew an unflattering picture of me because I was a "teacher's pet." Clearly, I forgive and forget because we have been friends since then - for the better part of of our lives. It was so amazing to see Luca interact with her kids! He absolutely loved it and has been talking about Madeline and Will ever since.

Last night, Scott and I were lucky enough to have dinner out because Luca's star babysitter Kami happened to be in town as well. She offered to take care of him while we went to Zocalo for a lovely dinner. Kami is the greatest caretaker ever! I am planning an "Ode to Kami" post in the very near future.

I have to catch up on my blog stalking and write an entry about what is going on . . . do take a look at Sara and Julian's blog because they have made it back to Toronto! YEA!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You're back! Your fairly regular posts stopped, and just wouldn't seem to start up again no matter how many times I hit the refresh button! :-)

I'm glad you had such a good time in Chicago. I will remember all your good memories the next time I am there. (I only drive through/around it on my way to upstate NY so my memories are more about construction and snarled traffic, hence I harbor no love for the city, but I will now make an effort!)

Luca must have had quite the fun trip visiting all those places and doing all those fun things! Especially the planetarium. How exciting!

Susan said...

what a fun time in Chicago. I Love Chicago too. It's special to me because it was where I ran my first marathon. Even though I had injured myself and couldn't run 3 weeks before Chicago, and my leg started hurting at mile 3 and i was crying by mile 12, I FINISHED anyway and it was just a cool feeling. I was a MARATHONER and that was in Chicago. :)
I went back a couple years ago and ran it again and although I did much better and it was easier, it wasn't the same. There is nothing like the feeling of empowement after completing a marathon. :)

I'm glad you and Luca had fun too.
We had fun doing touristy things-we did this Untouchables bus tour-very fun-and some haunted Halloween trolley car. Sean was 4 or 5 I think when we went.

Good to hear from you. :)

glad you got away and had a date night too! Those are important!!

Amy said...

I am so sorry I missed you Angela!! Would have loved to have met you in person!! And your Luca!! Hope you had a good time in the Windy City! Sounds like you did!

Tricia said...

Chicago is a fun city. Glad your little boy had fun there.