Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hope and a Big Carrot

The Big Carrot
Luca is in Pre-K and he has homework. Amazing - huh? I would characterize it as "fun" homework. Once a week, we read a book together and then he draws a picture that is supposed to be inspired by the book. There is also a vocabulary list and suggested activities to go along with the particular book.

Last year, at the ripe age of 3 he wanted to draw planets and moons. It didn't matter what the story was - it was planets and moons. His teacher (with whom we have since parted ways) told us that he needed to draw something that had to do with the book. So, homework night became, well, not so fun as we forced him to draw something from the book. What happened to art as self-expression? This year, we were back to planets and it was okay with the new and improved teacher (the nice teacher we love).

About a month ago, he started to draw the whole entire story. He would tell me the story verbatim as he drew each scene in the same box on one sheet of paper. Of course, his final picture looked like one big blob of scribbles. But, something really cool happened last week. He drew one part of the story, clear as day!

And he did it again today! This

is his representation of this:

Of course, there are moons and planets on the other side! I have learned that parenting is about compromise.

Hope
The book this week is The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss and Crockett Johnson (I highly recommend anything by Crockett Johnson, by the way). It is such a sweet, simple book about hope that really resonated with me.

A boy plants a carrot seed. His mom says it probably won't grow. His dad says it probably won't grow. His brother says it WON'T grow. And, it doesn't grow right away. But, he weeds and waters and waters and weeds and, amazingly, he grows one huge carrot.

It is a metaphor for almost anything really - persevere and what you work for will happen . . . in its own good time.

12 comments:

April said...

Awesome. His picture is absolutely awesome. I love that he loves planets and draws them and I love that his current teacher is good with that (shame on his other teacher!)

And, the story of the carrot sounds like a good one-I'll have to get it for Joey (and me).

However, I must say I find it a bit sad that there is "homework" in pre-K, regardless of how fun it is. Sigh...we're not there yet (next year). As Joey and Laura get older, I'm not sure how I'll handle the disgusting amounts of homework kids have these days...

April

Susan said...

we have that book. I love that book. We also like Harold and the Purple Crayon-great books.

I love Luca's picture. He is a very bright and fun lil boy!! ugh, don't get me started on homework. not to scare you--you have a while to go, but 4th grade homework is intense. But, maybe not where you live or at your school. We are surviving though-only 7 more weeks.

The story of the carrot is pretty close to our adoption story, isn't it?
Great reference.
I am reading a new book now, called A winter's tale, by Mark Halpren or something like that. It's really interesting-and good. I know you are a reader so maybe check that out if you haven't read it.
:)

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it love it. The story (yours) and the drawings (Luca's) ;-)
Shannon

Jennifer said...

Nice drawing Luca!! And way to go Mom on the compromise. (Note to self to remember this example.)

marsrob said...

Oh my goodness that is SO CUTE. What a beautiful drawing he did - and it was so accurate! He is adorable with the planets and moon! Thank you for sharing that. You made me smile! What a sweet kid!

Kim said...

What a great picture. Noah isn't into being creative. :) We get pictures with one big circle. Glad you parted ways with the mean teacher. :)

Amy said...

What a great drawing!!! Very impressive!!

Unbelievable how soon people want to start making young children rigidly conform. What is next? Embryo in utero please do the following homework. Sounds funny but holy cow 3 is so darn young and not that far away from a time when holding up your head was all you could do. Crazy world we live in.

McMary said...

Great drawing by Luca--so great that you let him draw as he wants to and on his timeline.
I love the carrot seed and remember my Grandma reading it to me--a fitting analogy for our adoption journey.

Regina said...

I just love seeing kids' drawings and artwork. There is something so beautiful and pure and free about it. Thank you for sharing Luca's sweet little masterpiece!

(I love the planets and the moon too, Luca!)

Catalina said...

Great, inspiring story, and wonderful picture! Luca` drawing is really good. I cant wait to read books with my children, for now I am still debating what language am I going to use first to comunicate with them.

Tracy said...

Wow.. great drawing from a pre-ker! I teach Pre-k. We also have home work. Ours is reading and writing at home. (not much though) If my kids bring back their HW I give them a free trip to the treasure chest! They want to do HW!!!

Sounds like Luca is doing great. It is wonderful when you hear how much kids enjoy learning about things.
Tracy

Thad and Ann said...

Jabari LOVES this book too.