Sunday, January 27, 2008

SURPRISE!

The last few days of 39
Well, they did it. How? I don't know. I must have been distracted by celebrating Luca's progress at school with a trip to the planetarium or maybe it was my thrice daily adoption blog check-in . . . my family and friends managed to put together a surprise party to celebrate one of the final evenings of my 30s. Hard to believe, I know.

As I was whisked into the banquet room of a local Chinese restaurant, my life flashed before my eyes. Then, I walked into a dark room, greeted by the obligatory "SURPRISE", and saw all of the brightly lit faces of people who have made my life so rich and meaningful. And, I cried. And, for once, I had no words. I still don't other than it was just so touching. Scott somehow pulled it all together. My parents came down to help and put together a collage of photos. Friends decorated . . . and decorated and put together another collage of photos. My mother-in-law arranged for the custom "Martha Stewart" themed cake. It was all just so nice, thoughtful, fabulous . . .

FOUR UH OH?
A few days ago I was mourning the changing of the decades. Our culture doesn't exactly celebrate aging. I struggled to find meaning in the tiny wrinkles and gray hairs that have appeared. But, the meaning was revelaed to me last night. The people in my life have provided meaning (and love and support). That's really what it comes down to. So, I am happy to be entering my 40s with so many wonderful people in my life (here, there and in cyberspace!). And, I also know that this year will bring a long awaited daughter (or son) into our lives (we should be at the Embassy by now). For all of this, I am truly grateful.

And, have you heard that 40 is the new 30?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! I was just commenting to Sandi (also turning 40) that this decade really is fabulous. I guess I'm the "elder" in the group so what I say goes ;-)

I just wouldn't mind if the 50's held off for just a little bit...

Happy Birthday!
Hugs,
Shannon

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!! I think we are probably all thankful for the wisdom that comes with age but not necessarily the bodily effects that happen - the wrinkles, grey hair, and gravity's pull - if you know what I mean. Enjoy your special day and def 40 is the new 30 maybe even 26!!

Susan said...

what a fun suprise! How awesome they pulled it off! that is so fun!
I suprised my hubby for his 50th. He is very hard to "get", so I was thrilled I Pulled it off. That was 2 years ago!

I was a lil freaked about turning 40 as well. I am now on the road to 42 in just 5 months. I like my 40's-due to what you said, fabulous friends and family.
So what that it's harder to lose weight, i'm not nearly as skinny as I used to be, and I no longer have an interest in being a hard core work out queen with killer abs...I am happy and adopting a munchkin from Kaz! and I know how to do a blog now! so there!
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Julian and Sara said...

Happy Birthday! The 40's are wonderful, though I can only speak for the first couple years of them. Wishing you a wonderful year of happy surprises.

Catalina said...

Happy Birthday! Great way to celebrate! My present for you: I tagged you... See my blog :)
Hugs,
Catalina

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday Angela.
Here is to turning 40, entering a new decade and adding to our families.

Sandi

Karen said...

This seems like the year that everyone turns 40. So in honor of that occasion, I have "officially" turned 40 once again (although my dossier says otherwise).

Happy 4oth Angela. Here's to one heckuva decade.