Thursday, November 22, 2007

The stats


First home study visit: 8/1/2007
Dossier sent: 11/21/2007
Size of bundle of joy: 8 1/2" wide, 11" tall, 3" thick weighing in at ~4lbs.
Note: I intended to count the pieces of paper - one completed dossier with 4 copies - but in my excitment to get it out, I forgot. I guess I can just say LOTS of paper.
Number of gray hair: a big clump (speaking of lots!)
Note: I look in the mirror at my shiny gray hairs with much fascination. I don't dislike them. They are something new. I can blame 3 1/2 months of paperwork gathering or my students this semester or . . . gulp! . . . my age.

So, it is with much relief that I report to you that we sent our bundle of joy to our agency yesterday. We stopped in Springfield on the way to my family's house to acquire our last Apostille on the I171H. It meant more time in the car - an 8 hour day - but I was ready to stop guarding that stack of papers from passing glasses of liquid, cups of coffee . . . fire. I was ready for the first trimester to be over - and it WAS like the first trimester. I was so full of fear and hope and trepidation.

And, it sounds like it will take 6 months for our paperwork to incubate into a real, live baby girl. Our coordinator speculates that we will travel in May or June (which would be PERFECT, but I am not counting on it, I swear).

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone - here and abroad (where it isn't even Thanksgiving anymore!). Thanks so much for all of the support - I love the great comments and emails. You have helped more than you know.

14 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Congrats, you must feel great! And have a lot to celebrate today too! S

Amy said...

Congratulations on making it past the first trimester!!!! Isn't it a relief to have that mountain of paperwork gone! I was guarding it like crazy near the end too! Very exciting for you!!!

Kim & Jamie said...

Congratulations on sending off your little bundle of joy!! That must be the most amazing feeling and I am so happy for you! Here is wishing you a quick LOI to Kaz!!

I know you posted on our blog a while ago and I am so sorry it has taken so long to blog back! Things have been way hectic with the adoption.

We are are almost at the point we can send our dossier to the agency but there is a hold up on the agency side with regards to approving home studies. Right now we have a completed home study with no where to go!! One of the many blips in the road, right?

Congratulations again, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Susan said...

I am glad you got it sent off and didn't spill any thanksigivng stuff on it. :) I know i felt so good when ours was off. I turned all mine in to my agency way before I got my i-171h. I wanted it OUT of my hands. I still remember the day and night i was taking the pictures and printing the pictures and had Joe labeling them all the the labeler and they were all lined up on my kitchen table. sean helped glue the pics on the paper. We were up until midnight cuz i wanted it DONE. I remmeber feeling like it was some high school project i had to get done.

CONGRATS I am sure you feel relieved.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Congrats on finishing that stack of paperwork! We know that feeling ... just finished ours a few weeks ago. I almost started crying at the FedEx office when we handed it over -- I was a bundle of nerves, relief, fear, etc. We look forward to following along with your journey. Karen & Glenn.

Jennifer said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I am so happy for you! Love that dossier! :-)

What a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving!

I hope you had a great holiday.

Sam said...

Congrats! send the little bundle on its way!

Unknown said...

That is one impressive pile of paperwork! Congratulations on getting it all done..

Regina said...

Hooray for you!!! Isn't it such a relief to get that thing off and running? We fellow PAP's know exactly how much gray hair the first "trimester" brings. It was like having a part time job for me. Although one that was a labor of love. ;-)

Jennifer said...

Hey! I know I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree at all times, but you changed not only the background, but your profile pic too, didn't you? I like it! Very sophisticated- both of them.

Just had to tell you I noticed (even if it took me several days of refreshing your page [grimace]), and I love it!

marsrob said...

That is SUCH great news!

Congrats on getting the dossier out! A VERY happy holiday season...things will move swiftly for you now! JOY!

Thinking of you all the way in Kaz.!!!!

xoxoxoox

J & M

Karen said...

I had the same photo with all the apostilled documents lined up neatly in three rows of 11. It was a sight to behold. Congratulations.

Kim & Jamie said...

Hi there! I hope you had a great holiday!

In response to your last post on our blog, out of curiosity, which 2agencies did you hear having negative experiences? If we switch, we want to make sure we have plenty of info, good and bad.

Also, is there a way to have our email posted on our blog (we are still very new to the blogging world!!)?

Best wishes for a short wait!!

Jill & Jon Dumford said...

Love the picture! I keep forgetting that I should take pictures of the process for future reference and to scrapbook this process. What a great time for you!
Jill