Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The first trip to the land of Kaz

Translation
Our adoption coordinator emailed on Monday to say that the dossier passed inspection and will be sent for translation by the end of the week. I have to say that I didn't even think of it not being okay. That may have sent me over the edge . . . "I need to get another WHAT?" But, alas, everything was good. It will take 1-2 months for translation.

Errands?
On Monday I picked Luca up from school and we went to Schnucks (a grocery store based in St. Louis that I identify for effect - it usually makes people laugh or furrow their brow at the very least) for a few things to tide us over until I have time to go for a "real" trip. Bananas are key in Luca's life. I really do think his daily banana consumption is one of the reasons why he is so darned healthy. Anyway, from the back seat comes the question, "Will Saskia go on errands with us?" As usual, I am dumbstruck by what is going on in his head. And, again I think "Where did that come from?" It was kind of sweet though . . . him sitting back there thinking of life with Saskia.

Twiddling my thumbs
Okay. Not really, but here comes the question that so many have asked. What to do NOW? I am over the post-dossier-submission glow and am wondering what we should be doing over the next 6 months or so. Can you help me make a list? This is what I have so far:

10 comments:

Regina said...

Ha! I think your #1 priority is right on target! Maybe once you check that off the other to-do's will suddenly become crystal clear. Or maybe the next most important task will become "buy the back-up outfit for said cutest girl's outfit ever."

Congrats on your dossier moving on up to translation!

Sandi said...

Yay that is great your dossier is on the move. Yahooo. I hope if moves rapidly through this stage and lands at the consulate.

In the mean time cute outfits are a must :)

Sandi

Kim said...

Do you scrapbook? I worked on lifebooks during our waiting.... :)

Kim

Amy said...

I have spent some time doing research on things I will want to have knowledge about beforehand. I am making a travel notebook that has a page each for telephone access, internet access, hotels, restaurants, etc. That way I will have a good resource for my trip. Even if you don't know the region yet you can do this research for Almaty. I also started to collect the different gifts for the people there - this way you can get some great things on sale (after Christmas sales are great for this) instead of trying to get the gifts in a week and paying full price.

Anonymous said...

Your priorities are straight, girl! Cute outfits rank number one in my book.

Congratulations on your dossier taking the next step,
Shannon

Karen said...

You want lists, I'll send you lists. I've got lists coming out of my ears. LOL

Jennifer said...

LOL! I'm so glad I "met" you! :-) First of all, congratulations on the dossier passing inspection. Huge mile stone. I know exactly what you mean when you say you're twiddling your thumbs. I remember thinking, "You've got to be kidding me? I was busy every single night for 4 months and now you want me to do NOTHING?!"

As for a to-do list... um... I will email you this HUGE excel spreadsheet I put together of all the things I could possibly buy, get, prepare... a little overkill to say the least. Just to warn you.

Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah! I've shopped. And shopped. Read some books on adoption and parenting. Got the nursery ready. We've been on dates. See the movie Enchanted, its excellent although it will only take up a few hours of your time and not weeks. You'll be good. Waiting is hard.

Jill & Jon Dumford said...

#2...Maybe learn some more Russian. Who knows what you could learn in six months? Maybe I'm just a moran but it took me 2 nights to memorize "YES" & "NO" when my husband and I practiced our key phrases. I look forward to some downtime to seriously start learning my key Russian phrases. (Most important phrase- "Where is the restroom?", It's always the first phrase I learn when traveling.)

marsrob said...

That is so great that your dossier is on its way! We also have lists of things we bought in preparation...it took a while, so if you want the list, happy to send it. Or, we can wait and let you know what was REALLY worth bringing!!! Anyways, that is great! Congrats!
Yes, the waiting is now the hardest part...hopefully your dossier will move along!