Saturday, November 17, 2007

Parenting in the 21st Century

Choices
Someone, a very nice lady, told me that she would like to clone me . . . for my parenting choices. I was stunned. And, in fact did not think she was talking to me when she made the statement.

Parenting today is rife with choices. Who knew? The question of toys with or without batteries did not enter into our family planning discussions. From the day Luca was conceived we have had to make what seems to be a million choices. And everyone - particularly those not currently involved in child-rearing - has an opinion. For brevity's sake, I will limit myself to post-birth choices. Breast or bottle? It seems bottle is akin to child abuse today. Cloth or disposable? Immunizations? Yes? Then, you may be putting your child at risk for autism. No? Then you are putting your child at risk for a whole host of diseases - polio, whooping cough, chicken pox to name a few. TV? Yes? Then your child may develop ADD and/or obesity issues. No? Then you may lose your mind. Toys with batteries or toys without? Our doula likened our Fisher Price Sparkling Symphony Activity Gym to "baby TV" with a grimace. When do you start cereal? Organic or not? Homemade baby food? Jarred? If jarred, what kind? Tummy time? Enough tummy time? TV yet? Computer time? If so, how much "screen time" is appropriate? Dairy or soy? Juice? According to our pediatrician juice is like crack for children. Yet, someone is always trying to give our child juice - other parents, school, etc. Again, who knew? Daycare? If you choose this option, someone may suggest that you are neglecting your child. Stay at home? If you select this option, someone may tell you that your child will be a social outcast for the rest of his life because he did not interact with other children for 8 hours a day at the ripe age of 6 months. Discipline? Yes? Aren't you being a little hard on your child by putting him in time out? No? Why aren't you establishing boundaries for your child? School? When? Home school? Public school? Tiny little hippy school? Montessori (a bit different from tiny little hippy school)? Waldorf?

So, you get the picture. And, I am a person who hesitates when confronted with the question "Paper or plastic?".

In defense of cloning
On Friday, Luca and I went to our local food co-op for our Friday lunch date. Luca always has cheese pizza and an oatmeal raisin cookie and watches the cars outside while he eats his lunch. Upon meeting someone, he often asks what kind of car they drive. He or she may respond by saying "a small one" or "a big one" or "a blue one." But, he wants specifics. A Honda Civic? A Toyota Prius? Isn't that a hybrid? The boy has a passion for cars. Anyway, Luca spilled a cup of water. I calmly got up and asked him to help me clean it up. And, he did. The woman at the next table said, "I would like to clone you." I heard her and smiled and went back to cleaning up. And she said it again with an explanation. She said she would like to clone me because I didn't get mad at Luca because he spilled the water. She said others she has seen get mad and then furiously clean it up on their own without asking the child to take some responsibility and help. I smiled again and said, "This isn't how it always goes." But, then I thanked her - profusely. It was the nicest thing I have heard in a while and it made me feel competent. It is difficult to know whether we are making the right choices and the opinions of (well-meaning) people often make me feel doubtful. But, a little positive reinforcement made me feel like I could climb mountains . . . that we can continue to make the choices that we believe are best for our family.

I suggest telling people they should be cloned often . . . you have no idea how good it will make him or her feel.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful post. I know exactly what you mean on all the choices. Some days during an emotional moment I think, "I can't do this anymore!!!" Not because of the kid by any means, but because the choices can be overwhelming- how do I know I'm not going to scar her for life? (A bit of an exageration of course, but we've probably all been there at one point or another.) The alternative is equally horrifying- just letting go, not caring about the impacts of the choices, and hoping it turns out for the best. It takes so much work, and effort, and strength every single day to continually make the best decisions given the choices we have.

While it's way too early for anyone to suggest I clone myself, I do so hope I can get that compliment some day. Many kudos to you for all of your hard work, your awareness, your interest, and your committment!

Susan said...

What a wonderful post-and man, you are so right! So many choices, and many opinionated people who feel compelled to tell you how they do things, whether you want to hear it or not!! It got easier, as my son grew older-as I realized he would survive despite the mistakes that I had made. :)

What a wonderful woman who commented you on your relationship with Luca. You should be very proud.

A couple years ago, Sean and I were out having breakfast. It was just the two of us, and we had a nice breakfast. As another couple was leaving, the lady stopped and told me she had to stop and comment about what a special relationship I had with my son and it was obvious how much we loved each other. I was so touched. I said, well, thank you, i had to bribe him to come to breakfast with me with a trip to Target after this. :)

and, surely, there are times I can recall where someone would have wished we would LEAVE the restaurant or I perhaps wished i could have left Sean there (half kidding), and you get glares from other people and someone surely has an opinion on how you could have handled a discpline issue differently than how you did.

But, then you get a comment like I got that day, and the comment that you got, that does give you confidence, and you think-wow, maybe I am a good influence on Sean, (sometimes!!!)

Great post. :)

and, I would clone you too cuz you're too cute.

Regina said...

Wow, what a wonderful compliment. And you ARE clone-worthy! And I was LOL at all the questions and decisions you mentioned. Those are the same ones that are running through my mind every day.

I joined a 'natural-minded' mom's group already here in Charleston, and it's been very helpful in making some decisions, but there are many more to come...

It's ok to bask in the glow of a parenting job well done!

Sam said...

Congrats on your good choices....
What car do you drive? too funny! He's quite the character

Matthew Ruley said...

Thank you - what a great post! You must have felt great, and obviously you have made some great choices to come to this point. LOVE that Luca knows all the cars. Too fun!

Karen said...

Your point about autism and immunizations is a scary one. I saw on the news that a township in Maryland was going to fine parents $50 every day their child was immunized. That's scary. What do you do?

Angela said...

Thanks for all of the great comments! Jennifer, you WILL get that compliment. Actually, I am giving it to you now! You should be cloned for all the love and patience you have shown.

Susan, it sounds like you and Sean have a great relationship. Congratulations on doing something that is not easy to do!

Regina, it is so awesome that you are doing your research!

Sam & Suz - Thanks!

Karen, the immunization decision is a tough one. I have a friend who did not immunize her sons. We chose to because our peditrician convinced us the association with autism is a coincidence. There is a middle ground also. You can split up the immunizations (for example, not do Measles, Mumps & Rubella all together - another friend of mine did that) and skip some like chicken pox.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of this post. I remember reading it then, and it's even more meaningful now ;-) I doubt my parenting abilities almost every single day, and felt like I was walking on air today when complimented. I will do better at doing the same for others.
Shannon