Monday, November 5, 2007

Happiness is . . .


Autumn leaves

"Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn."
- Elizabeth Lawrence

. . . which is what we did yesterday. I was feeling so reflective. I was so close to surrendering to the adoption process (until this morning - more on that later). We had such a good time raking the leaves. Luca loved rolling around in the pile and throwing leaves with abandon. He also went on multiple leaf scavenger hunts (for example, find 20 red leaves with 5 points). It was such a nice day.

Tamales
Scott and I spent the afternoon making tamales. We used the dough from this recipe and two fillings from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen (spicy mushroom chile & black bean). I made the salsa roja from Fields of Greens. Sorry. I am a bit of a food nut. I won't bore you with the rest of the menu. I am happy to report that the tamales were amazing unless you are a 4 year-old. If that is the case, you may say "Bleck!" when required to eat one bite of a "specially-prepared-for-you" cheese-only tamale and opt for the back-up grilled cheese.

A Screeching Halt
Yesterday, I was thinking that, yes, happiness is also a screeching halt in one's life. The screeching halt here is, of course, the adoption process. Here our many pieces of paper sit all dressed up (with Apostilles) with nowhere to go. Wednesday will mark the second week our home study has been at USCIS. I have been doing lots of "why-ing" and "should-ing" and all around "poor-me-ing." This morning I almost cried because I was so frustrated. But, really, I am going to stop now. Happiness can be a screeching halt in the process because this is just how it is. Does that make any sense? One would think that, by now, I would understand that I have very little control over things that happen. I need to remind myself of that over and over and over. Happiness is accepting that I have little control . . .

I can, however, be prepared. Our agency does require that everything except for birth certificates/marriage licenses be less than 3 months old. Almost all of our documents are from September/October except the FBI clearance. I think I am going to go ahead and get the clearance done again just in case.

Kids from Kazakhstan
Have you seen this calendar? Isn't it adorable?!

P.S. I have entered the world of links. Can you tell?

4 comments:

The Cook said...

I titally know your frustration, I am from illinois too and it took 13 weeks for us to get our 171. The waiting was terrible but you will make it through. Everyone says once you find your child, the waiting will be a distant memory...not for me. I still remember it like it was yesterday and it stinks. The good news is that it ends and you will have a great experience.

Where are you from in illinois?

-Muriel
www.2kaz4sophie.blogspot.com

Regina said...

Don't give up!!! You have come so far and if it takes a few more miles to walk, then so be it. Your child is waiting for you!

Blessings,
Regina

marsrob said...

I cannot blame you for feeling totally frustrated. This "out of control" feeling is mind-blowingly difficult and you have every right to feel down about it. Hang in there though, you WILL get through this process and it WILL end happily!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! We are not used to so many important things being totally out of our control and it's "so" not fun. I'm sending good thoughts to the USCIS gods so you can open your mail tomorrow to get the elusive 171 ;-)