Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Open up and Say Ahhhhh.....


[Scott here again]


Well, today we went to visit the International Clinic to get Alia's medical check-up for the Embassy. I'll admit that I was definitely not looking forward to this day. Alia is very suspicious of strangers to begin with, and does not much care to be held by anyone she does not know well, much less poked and prodded by some strange doctor. Needless to say, I was not looking forward to the visit.


We arrived a few minutes early for our appointment and were almost immediately taken by a nurse to get Alia’s weight and length. Alia didn’t much care for being placed on the scale or stretched out to get measured, but she calmed down quickly after they gave her back to me. We thought that she had been gaining weight, if the chubbiness of her cheeks is any guide, and that was confirmed today, as she weighed in at 18 ¼ pounds. When we weighed her in Kokshetau, she was close to 16 pounds, so she’s been doing well. She is also about 27 inches long. Both measurements are well within normal parameters.


The nurse then took us straight upstairs to see the doctor – a nice Kazakh or Russian woman. I’ve heard that the doctors at the Clinic come from all over the world, so I’m guessing that she could have been from elsewhere. I fully expected a lengthy exam with blood being drawn and shots. Well, the doctor looked in her ears, her nose, listened to her heart and lungs, and…that’s it! Nothing more! I was so stunned when she told us we could leave, I just gathered up Alia and away we went. No questions asked. We were in the Clinic for perhaps 20 minutes at the most. The visit was even shorter than I expected because I left without paying! No wonder it was so quick! Janara called from the Agency to tell us that we had forgotten to pay about 30 minutes later (I realized it once we got back to the apartment, but after Vitalii had left). Vitalii was gracious enough to come back to the apartment and offered to go pay the Clinic. So, I gave him the money and he went and took care of it for us. Later in the afternoon I went out for a walk and was just aimlessly wandering around town when I looked up and realized that I was right in front of the Clinic. I went in and apologized to them for the mistake earlier in the day and we all had a nice laugh.

We went out for dinner again tonight - this time to Govinda's a vegetarian restaurant operated by the Hari Krishna community in Almaty. When we lived in St. Louis, I loved to go to the Govinda's run by the Krishna's there, so I was excited to be trying out a Krishna vegetarian meal 8,000 miles away from the last one. I was not disappointed. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. I had a potato/cauliflower/cheese dish and mom had a potato spinach dish. We also had a couple of samosas and an order of fried bread stuffed with potatoes (noticing a theme here?). It was very nice to get out and enjoy a good meal. Alia sat quietly and played with (chewed on) her toys. She really does so well when we go out.

Tomorrow, we have an appointment at the Embassy at 3:00, and then...WE GET TO COME HOME! Our flight leaves Almaty at 2:35 Thursday morning, and the get into Carbondale late Thursday afternoon. Cannot wait!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Wow Alia looks adorable in this picture! Glad your appointment went well. Ours was painless as well but we had to wait for about an hour. You are much more trusting of your agency staff than I would ever be of the ones we had! :)

Hoping your trip home is uneventful and your reunion with Angela and Luca unforgettable.

Kim

Angela said...

I know I am completely biased, but what a cute photo! I was just walking down the hallway after class thinking, "I wonder how the doctor appointment went." And, I received my answer almost immediately. Great! So glad it was not traumatic. Maybe they knew not to mess with Alia :). Also, great to confirm she is indeed growing.

I am so glad you guys got to go to Govinda's! The meal sounds lovely - gotta to love potatoes! It's a good thing Alia is okay with eating out. I am sure there will be many a meal of dinner salad with creamy Italian, club crackers and cheese pizza with dough to play with on the side at Pagliai's in her future.

Now I have another blog post I can read 50 times.

Only one more appointment!

Susan said...

I am NOT biased and that is a very pretty picture of her. She is a real serene beauty, just as her Mommy described her.

Leeza screamed bloody "hell" at the sos clinic-and the dr said, "she cries with no tears" then she gave the doctor a big "dirty look". it was really funny.
Alia and Leeza are almost the same size...Leeza is 8.9 kilo's, or about 18 lbs. :) I'm grateful for Kaz that we have strong healthy kiddo's! Sean was a scrawny preemie baby so I am glad to have such a chunkster kiddo who will eat ANYTHING and everything. :)


If you think that was short, just wait until you do the embassy apt. It took 5 minutes-and you don't need the 3 years of tax returns, and all that other stuff we brought. Just the $300 fee and you get the sealed evenlope, sign the papers you already filled out, and you're outta there!

I predict a very easy trip home with your calm gorgeous daughter. Leeza did really well, excdept for the crying screaming 15 minute fit at the airport since she chose NOT to go to bed at all that night for our 3:20 am flight...but after that she slept, and was an angel for the duration of the trip.

so glad you are almost home...I know luca and momma miss you guys so much!!!

Much love and safe travels HOME!

Tracy said...

I am so glad she is doing so well. So how old is she now? She is one of the prettiest babies I have ever seen! I can not wait for you all to get home and her to meet her big brother. How exciting that is. Have a safe journey home!!!

Tracy

Trudi said...

That's an ADORABLE picture. I too am happy that the doc appointment was a breeze - may this foretell happy times at the pediatrician. It's very healthy that Alia is a little shy with strangers and it sure shows how she has bonded to you! That's beautiful!

Wishing you a calm, quiet uneventful trip home.

Tricia said...

She is so adorable! The most intimidating thing about the embassy appointment was the 6' 8" guard at the door. That really does go even more quickly and they will make you pay ahead of time :) Have a great trip home.

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Wow, she's beautiful!!!! Safe travels home, Susan

Karen said...

Yes, she's quite the beauty. I remember the SOS was a horrible experience for Garrett; he hated lying down and having his tummy touched. But when it came to drawing blood, he was all smiley again (go figure). I think the only real reason why there's a required clinic visit is to have the HIV test done. Without it, you ain't leaving the country.