Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Coming Home...


We have Alia’s visa! We can come home now!


Went to the U.S. Consulate this afternoon, along with two other WPA families. We paid our money, and went up to the window, signed a few papers, got Alia’s passport, birth certificate, and adoption certificate back, as well as a super-secret folder THAT MUST BE KEPT SEALED until we arrive in the U.S. We’re then supposed to hand it over to the Immigration folks. Took us about 30 minutes, and that was only because there were at least three other adoptive families in line ahead of us, in addition to all of us WPA folks.


Went back to the sisters’ office for an exit interview/debriefing. Kind of tough to finalize payments and listen to what I was being told about the papers Gulzhan was giving me because all of the women were trying to play with Alia, who was sitting in my lap the whole time. They were talking to her in Russian, squeezing her cheeks, fawning over her outfit, the whole bit. And she met all of the attention with a scowl. “I don’t know you people, and I don’t much care for your attempts to curry my favor through baby talk and peek-a-boo!”


Vitalii is due to pick us about in about two hours and take us to the airport. After that, we’ll be out of touch until late Thursday. So glad to be bringing Alia home with me to see Angela and meet Luca. Can’t wait to settle down for a while and get back to family life, complete with our daughter.

9 comments:

marsrob said...

YAYYYYY!!! Cannot wait for your reunion!!!!

dnd82001 said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH So happy to hear lady Alia is finally coming home!!

Safe travels and can't wait to see photos of the homecoming!!

Darlene

babsinatl said...

I love the scowling at strangers. I fancy that makes the smiles she reserves for Mom & Dad all the more delicious... Its OK...you can admit it...

Joby and Marla said...

WhoooHooo! Your girl is on her way home.

I am so happy for all of you :)

espinosa said...

Safe Travels!!!!

Sandi said...

Yayyy this is great news. I can't wait for Luca to meet his sister.

Safe travels.

sandi

Alysa said...

WOO-HOO!!! I'm so glad you're headed home! I know just how good that feels. Wishing you safe and smooth travels and can't wait til you are all together again!

Susan said...

yay!! so happy you are on the way home!!

Jennifer said...

Wow, the last interview! How exciting!!