Thursday, October 23, 2008

Life Goes On

This summer I read an excerpt from Elizabeth MacCracken's An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A Memoir. I almost got down on my knees and thanked whoever it was that put that article into my hands. MacCracken's first son was stillborn. She captured what it is to live with neonatal loss like noone else I have encountered.

She wrote, simply, life goes on and so does death.

There is no handbook for life after the loss of babies. I know because I desparately tried to find it. The closest thing I came to was Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking which is about the sudden death of the writer's husband and her daughter's sudden and seemingly inexplicable, grave illness. The "loss of children" books that I read never addressed continuing to live with the loss of such tiny children. One author wrote that people who experienced neonatal loss involving multiples had a whole slew of other issues she would not deal with in this particular book. So, I groped my way through grief, anger, rage, sadness, blame, shame, despair sometimes with grace, much of the time not. All the while I got up everyday and functioned - much of the time on autopilot - but I was functioning I assured myself. My internal voice often said, "I have always gotten out of bed! I have never stayed in bed depressed!"

But, I was doing some pretty nutty stuff . . .

. . . like drinking very little water. I used to drink lots of water. You know, because it is supposed to be really good for you. When I was in the hospital fighting the infection that took the lives of Hope, Meret and Annalisa, the nurses and doctor encouraged me to drink as much water as I could to keep the fever down and I am not sure what else. I drank gallons of water - no exaggeration. It was the only thing I felt I could control. It didn't work, so I boycot it now.

I have been hanging on to a giftcard that graduate students in Scott's department so generously chipped in to buy us once our pregnancy with triplets was public knowledge. I have had that card for 3 1/2 years. I have not known what to do with it. At one point I thought we would donate it to our Women's Center. At another I had the idea of buying books for our public library in their names. I even thought we could use it for our next child, but then thought that that would not be fair somehow.

All these seemed like perfectly okay ideas, but at the same time none of them felt right. And, that really has been the theme here. What does one do after three babies die anyway? A lot does not feel right. I received a flyer for a children's book drive today so I am back to buying books for book drive with the giftcard. At least I think I can actually do something with it now.

My dayplanner used to be the biggest I have ever seen - truly. Inside I had elaborate grids and calendars to plan out my weeks and months with multiple colored pens to keep track of my progress. My life was divided into sections a la Stephen Covey - Partner, Family Member, Lecturer - so that I always knew what had to be done. I all but burned that thing after the babies died. It just felt so pointless keeping track of all this minutia. I started to wing it. I skipped birthdays and stopped sending thank you cards (gratitude?! not so much). I didn't return emails or phone calls. I didn't clean the house. Stuff piled up. I cared but didn't at the same time.

There is more . . . I just can't think of all the ways this loss has been incorporated into the very fiber of my being. I guess by hanging on to all these habits, quirks and feelings I have been keeping the triplets present in our everyday life somehow. I tried to not let life go on - to grind my heels into the ground - because how could it?

What I was waiting for was someone to say was that death goes on. I didn't know that is what I needed to know until I read it. I did know that I was full of grief and self-blame and could not figure out where I could put it. There is a great song by Beck call Missing and one of the lines is "I can't believe these tears were mine. I'll give them to you to put away in a box." I think that's what I thought was going to allow life to go on - putting the deaths of Hope, Meret and Annalisa away in a box.

Here's the thing - the more I have tried to box everything up, the more life does not go on.

So, on this rainy October day, a week before Scott and Alia come home, I remember Hope, Meret and Annalisa . . . and not only their deaths, but their lives as well. There have been so many times throughout this process of adopting Alia when I have felt their little souls were there with us. And, for that I am grateful to them.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. Words can not even express the emotion I feel after reading this. Awe, gratitude, humility, sadness, inspiration...

Thank you so much for sharing your innermost feelings and thoughts. I know this is not why you wrote this, nor what you are looking for, but in my eyes, you are an incredibly strong person. All the way around. For living it. Sharing it. For the way you love what you do have. Your energy.

I don't have a comment worthy of this post, other than a very humble thank you for being so open and sharing.

Alysa said...

I too am without words after reading this very personal post. You have experienced what no one should have to go through. For that, I am deeply sorry. Thank you for sharing what must still constantly hurt in every fiber of your being.

I hope with all my heart that what you have learned about death going on will give you peace as you bring your beautiful daughter Alia home. Of course your three little girls will never be forgotten and I'm glad you feel their souls watching over your family and welcoming their little sister home.

Alia is nearly in your arms forever. I can't wait for that to happen for you!

Love from Alysa and Brady

Joby and Marla said...

I am very emotional lately. The tears just wouldn't stop while I read your post. I can relate to so many things that you wrote about.
I have struggled with life going on & remembering my JoBoy & JoBaby. I think I have been strong. I have gotten out of bed & continued to do what everyone thought was normal in my life but I was hurting so bad inside. Then each miscarriage that followed continued the battle until I just couldn't be strong anymore. I changed my course & eventually that lead me down the path to Kazakhstan. Already our little Kaz boy has revived the passion of life in our family.
Every holiday I decorate my babies' tombstone as a sign to them that they won't be forgotten.
When anyone asks me how I decided to adopt from Kaz, I always say it is too long of a story but I know I am on this path because of my babies that are never coming home to me.

April said...

Angela,

I'm crying right now, partly because today is Hannah's birthday-my first born of my trio, partly because you have capture so magically what such a devastating loss does.

I too struggled to find a book that captured the uniqueness of losing triplets. I too felt dissapointed, time and time again. I really never found a book that would take me beyond the first few weeks of grief into the first few months and years and so I, like you, was left to grapple through, telling myself I was surviving because I wasn't staying in bed all day. It is impossible to capture all the ways that grief and loss have changed the things I do. Now, 5 years later, I know that there have been changes in me, some of them better some of them-not worse-but different, but I believe my "core being" is the same person, or at least, I hope so.

(((hugs))) one can't help but think of who we've lost when we gain someone new in our lives. It's such an interesting relationship.

Life does go on and so does death. And, I now realize that I haven't "moved on" but I have moved forward, and that's a good thing.

April

Stacy said...

Okay next time can you please tell us to get a tissue before reading.

I can't even imagine the pain you have been through in the past few years. You post was so inspirational. Gices me a wake up to to not feel so sorry for ourselves in petty situations. Thank you for sharing you true heart with us.
I hopt that bringing Alia home will help.And thanks for teaching us to be so humble.
Yes life goes on but it is hard to think of it as death going on. You will be in my prayers!

marsrob said...

Angela - WOW. What a magnificently beautiful and painful post. Death goes on - it is SO true. What a true thing, and agonizing thing - but a true thing nonetheless. The magnitude of your loss is mind boggling and the fact that you can reflect with such depth and self-awareness blows my mind. I really agree that Joan Didian totally captured something profoundly real and raw, and I do think she has written one of the most incredible books EVER about grief and loss. And then, there is your post. I will keep it. It is sooooo moving and although I lost my father-in-law recently - which is NOTHING like losing 3 babies, something about what you wrote comforted me and made me feel more, well, alive?
Alia is AMAZINGLY blessed that you are her mother and those 3 girls must definitely be angels in your/her life. I just don't even know what to say except for thank you for sharing so honestly, so raw-ly. I wish we all lived closer to one another so we could just be together in person. Oh well. Thank you.

CubanaYogini said...

Being a triplet loss mom is a unique experience. Being a triplet loss mom who adopts a child is another unique experience. There are no books for us. Just jumbles of emotions and people like you who can so eloquently describe their own incomprehensible.

My most intense grieving has happened after Xavi turned one. That first year after he came home there was so much going on. Oh Angela, grief just goes on and on and becomes an integral part of who we are.

My cousin visited las weekend and he congratulated me on how I had recovered and moved on from my loss. I found it futile to try to convince him that I live loss every single day. Oh well. I'll let him continue to be happy for me.

Congratulations on being a Mama again.

Trudi said...

That is one of the most beautiful and profound postings I have ever been privileged to read. Sending you big hugs and gratitude for your open, loving soul who will now cherish and raise Alia with three angels on your shoulder.

Diana said...

Thank you for sharing. Very beautifully said.

((((Hugs)))) to you

Susan said...

Bless you Angela, I don't know what to say either, but that you are a very strong and brave women.
I don't know how you ever get over losing a child, must less three children, but I admire you for keepin on. I am so happy that you have a wonderful husband who is a great father, and a wonderfully smart lil boy in Luca, and now, a gorgeous, serene, Kazakh beauty in Alia. I know that they will continue to give you great joy.

God bless you sweet woman.

Kim said...

Angela,
I am so blessed to have you to call friend and the privilege to share this experience with you. Your words are going to resonate with me for a while. Your strength is inspirational, your reflection beautiful. I can't imagine what this has been like for you. One can never forget such a tragic loss but somehow when Alia comes home in a few short days, part of your heart will be healed, joy will return and life will just be magical. You will look at her each day in a different light because of your experience. You will love her differently because of your loss. You will once again have the great privilege of being a mom!

Regina said...

Sweet Angela,

Living with unbearable grief such as yours is a miracle in itself. May you find a new peace as you begin your life with Alia, never forgetting your three angels, but remembering that life doees continue to move forward in all its beauty and magnificence.

No doubt you have touched many people with your words and your energy. I hope that this has somehow eased some of your burden. We all thank you for sharing so generously.

Karen said...

Profoundly moving, I'm so touched by your words. To lose three babies, your precious girls, is beyond comprehension. My heart goes out to you.

This is a very personal post, thank you for sharing.

babsinatl said...

Just catching up on your posts and so glad I didn't miss this one. As always...moving and beautiful...and even uplifting. I've seen the planner of past, my friend. In my mind, it defined you. That you would foresake it says volumes. Thank you for continuing to share. I will never forget your three little beautiful flowers either.