Thursday, October 16, 2008

Completely Random Thoughts

Photo from performance that Scott & Jean saw

I should be grading exams, but I have given up on that for today. Don't tell my students.

We are about 1 1/2 days away from the end of the 15 day appeal period. I am not sure when the final papers are signed - maybe Monday?

I have been having a hard time with Scott and Alia being gone. When I think of them, my heart literally aches. It doesn't matter when or where I am. They pop into my head and I just long for them. I was at Kohl's yesterday and I picked up an outfit for her. I am still kind of reticent about buying stuff for her, but her arrival home is becoming more and more real to me. I just got all choked up when I was looking at all those clothes and trying to decide what would look best on her (everything!).

All the while I am really enjoying my time with Luca! He is on a big Sid the Science Kid kick. It is a new show on PBS that he LOVES. Yesterday, the big event was looking at rolly polly bugs and centipedes with a magnifying glass. This morning he told me that was the best thing he ever did. Wow!

Things are still clicking along in Kokshetau. Our first set of roommates picked up their son last week and left on Tuesday, so Scott, Alia & Jean are on their own again. The other couple's interpreter took Scott and Jean out last night. Scott said it was pretty amazing - 1 1/2 hours of mostly Kazakh musical performances for 500 tenge. Can you imagine all the costumes and musical instruments? Luba, cleaning lady and babysitter extraordinaire, took care of Alia. Apparently Alia missed them. She was still awake when they got home an hour past her bedtime.

Here come the random thoughts . . .

I lost about 15 pounds since August. I got out some pants that had gotten too small and - viola - they fit. I am calling it the jet lag diet. I was never hungry because my body was not used to eating at 1 a.m. Heck, I think I burned extra calories because my body wasn't used to being AWAKE at 1 a.m.

Dealing with jet lag was the biggest surprise to me. Noone could have prepared me for how hard it was.

I know it is the 21st century, but I am still amazed that a person can get on multiple planes and wind up on the other side of the planet in a completely different world. It still seems like magic to me.

Tuesday was Scott and my 13th wedding anniversary! What a way to spend it . . . Luca and I had Chef Boyardee pizza to celebrate on Tuesday night. Scott loves Chef Boyardee (even took one to Kazakhstan - I bet they are saving it for a special night), so it is pretty fitting. Who would have thought that we would adopt a little girl from Kazakhstan 13 years ago. Wow! We are hoping that we can do something to celebrate together before the end of the year.

Last night we Skyped with Scott and Alia. It was time for her morning bottle, so she started to squirm and fuss. We hung up with them and Luca said, "Is Alia frustrated because her mom can't take care of her? I think she is." I said I don't know, but right at that moment she was probably frustrated because she was hungry. Then he said, "I think she is happy now because we can take care of her."

I cannot wait to see Luca with his little sister!

10 comments:

Karen said...

Let me be the first to wish you and Scott happy anniversary—lucky 13. We all understand how you must feel, that aching feeling you get when you miss someone so much. It seems like time moves ever so slowly, but this too shall pass. :-)

Thinking of you,
Karen

dnd82001 said...

Hi Angela - I just about jumped out of my skin while waiting at the terminal - 1 1/2 hours after the plan landed but yes they are home and they are both exhausted!!

Jetlag was horrible for me on my return as well so I can only imagine how Nicholas will be feeling the next few days!!

They are both sleeping quietly as I type this......I am in heaven!!

Happy Anniversary!!!


Darlene

Trudi said...

Happy Anniversary - and what a special year this is, even if you are too far apart. I love Luca's Sid the Science Guy story - he is at such a wonderful age. It really will be fun when he meets his sister. I hope time flies for you.

Alysa said...

Happy Anniversary! Here's to a great celebration when you are reunited!

Only a day and a half, probably less than that by now, and she is all yours! Woo-hoo! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE PICTURES!!

It is very strange to get on a plane and land in a different world in a matter of hours. Not even taking into account the time changes, it is just a bizarre and weird feeling. But, thank goodness for the technology or we wouldn't have our Kaz kids!

Tricia said...

Happy Anniversary! Lucky 13 for sure. I feel for you. It is hard to be separated when you are so used to being a united team. Thank God for Skype, huh? Regarding the jet lag, the only way I could describe it was that the exhaustion felt as bad as it did when I was recouperating from surgery. Who knew you could be that tired from jet lag? I agree with you with the surreal feeling of being half way around the world. I thought about it all of the time there. Especially when I wanted to call someone and there was that 10 hour time difference. Hang in there and hug Luca extra tight.

kryan said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. We are so happy for you that you will soon have Alia home and have the family together.

Still recovering from jet lag,
Dave and Karie

Susan said...

happy happy happy annversary!!

Joe calculated that he spent 113 hours in the air flying over the past 75 days....but he deals with jet lag really well.
and, they think 52 is too old to adopt...HUMMPHH to that!

I cant' believe you haven't bought much for Alia yet...you are good! Leeza's entire closet is full of clothes-and they will all fit her. How crazy is that...God knew we were getting Leeza..he just knew. :)

Sean is SO VERY EXCITED to see his sister so i can imagine Luca is the same way. Sean cried when Joe left for Almaty. It broke Joe's heart. But, he is very busy with SAT's this week and Enterprise Village in social studies.

They will be home before ya know it, but I know you miss them like crazy. I really miss Sean, but I know that staying here was the right thing for me to do. Sean was older, and it just worked out.

Leeza is doing incredibly well-she is such an easy, happy, baby. Except for one bad day, she's been really amazing.
I did learn to NOT go without her potty though, or my girl won't poop.
I will no longer believe it when people say you can't potty train at a young age, cuz at 13 months, Leeza may not talk yet, but she knows you poop on the potty or you JUST DON'T GO!

:)

xoxooxxo
sending warm thoughts your way.
:)

ps Almaty is really pretty-weather is great, but I still love Kostanai the best and I'm sure I always will. :)

Jennifer said...

Happy anniversary!

I'm happy to hear all is well in Kokshetau. Monday can't get here soon enough for you and all of us too. And of course their arrival home even more so!

My thoughts are with you during this wait period.

marsrob said...

First of all, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Yes, I agree with you - life is FULL of surprises. Congrats on 13 years. I understand you are aching. They are SOOOO close to coming home! It must suck so much. Thank goodness you have Luca to share time with - oooh. We cannot wait for Alia and Scott to get home to you both!

Anonymous said...

I've been off blogs for the weekend, and just caught up. Thanks for the photos of ADORABLE ALIA!!!!!!!! Man, is she cute ;-) Congratulations on the anniversary and on the appeal period being over. One step closer to your family being reunited.
Shannon