Thursday, October 11, 2007

The race is on . . .

For Luca

Luca loves cars (and Cars), so I had to use a picture of Lightning McQueen for this entry. And, now that I am thinking about it, Cars is a good metaphor for the adoption process. Pretty funny, huh? I am an art historian - unfortunately, I can find symbolism in just about everything. My eye-rolling students can tell you that. Humor me. Lightning starts out very sure of himself - he only has his eye on winning. Sometimes I feel like I only have my eye on getting done with the adoption only to forget to enjoy the process and people (my, I have been pretty anxious and cranky and annoyed lately). But, that is what Lightning learns. He is forced to learn this in his detour in Radiator Springs. He finds out people (or I should say cars) are important and the value is in the journey. The journey changed him for the better. It turned him into a compassionate car because in the end he chose to help The King rather than win the race. The end wasn't how he envisioned it, but it was still good. So, I am trying to get in touch with my inner Lightning and realize that I need to learn to be okay with the process and trust that the end will be good no matter what.

The process

So, we had our medical evaluations filled out and signed - that was miraculous actually. My traveling notary seemed a bit flaky, but she came through. I had to request new marriage licenses because the ones we have are too old (March). I am so glad that I saw Susan's comment about that somewhere because I don't think this information was in my manual. But, I do feel like I am checking off things and adding them at the same rate. I planned to send everything off to be Apostilled at once, but now I think I will send what I have just in case there are any problems. Then I can get those taken care of before the end of the month. And, what else do I have to do while I wait for the coveted I-171H?

I-171H Envy

I just read about someone getting theirs in a week! Okay. I know. I just wrote an entire paragraph about enjoying the process. Alison, who has helped me immensely, advised me not to harass immigration for the I171H, so I can take that off my to-do list.

After we come home

I have really appreciated reading about people's honest experiences after the honeymoon is over, so to speak. Thanks, Jennifer! I am glad to be somewhat prepared for the issues particular to children who have been raised in an institution. Of course, we researched this before we started the process, but it is so helpful reading honest accounts of the experiences real families. And, I continue to be amazed by the similarities between raising biological and adopted children.

Until next time . . .

6 comments:

marsrob said...

I think it is so great that you are trying to embrace the process and the experience along the way. I have had a really, really hard time with that - I have never been so anxious and irritable...but I think you have a great point. I am going to try to be ok with the process too - at least today.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment, it sounds like we are fairly close in the process? ;-)

It is tough and it's great to have this wonderful online community to help us all through it.

I'm looking forward to following your progress!
Shannon

Sandi said...

Hang in their your I71H will arrive soon. They are processing much faster these days. I actually had all my forms apostilled aside from the I71h and sent it off seperately.

The waiting and not having control over many things is difficult but the online cyberspace community is helpful.

Looking forward to following you on this amazing journey.

Sandi

Susan said...

Your post is perfect for this process! I, too, was anxious and stressed out waiting for my i-171h as i was so afraid everything else would expire. The timing is a delicate process and redoing things not only is annoying for us, but for the people we have to work with to get the stuff done. :)

But, I have been praying about it a lot and I teach Sunday school to k-3rd graders, so I am working really hard to apply what i teach. And, it's working. I'm really calm about it these days and I know we'll go when we're meant to go. I thought for sure we'd go in the winter, but now I've been told otherwise, so it will probably be closer to March. I'm good with that. I'm handling it much better than I thought I would.
I'm doing my yoga, stalking my blogs, trying to learn 4th grade math, and meeting so many wonderful people in the process.
The journey is important-and getting crabby doesn't do anyone any good. :)
Once you get your dossier done you will probably be much relieved.

I'm hoping we are done now..but we'll see. :)

For the most impatient person in the world, I feel I am finally learning some patience. Maybe it's my yoga and my sunday school kids. :)

Meartz Family Adventures said...

Sorry this is so long...I didnt see anywhere to just email you!:)
My husband and I did a country change right before we mailed the completed homestudy to join the rest of our I-600A. I had to call at first to get directions on how to change the country from Kaz to Guatemala (or to make sure someone over there did so). It took me about a week of calls to actually talk to someone who I knew for sure had changed the forms to Guatemala for me. After that she informed me that they would have the 171-H form to me within a few days! I received it 2 days later! Oh and by the way dont panic if it is not called 171-H when it arrives at your door. Mine was called an I-797C, and I almost freaked out. The coordinator assured me it was the right form, just named different. I was thinking why isnt that in the manual? They make it sound like its a definate 171-H! I dont think it can ever hurt to call and see what month aps they are currently processing. You never know who you might get on the phone with and how fast they might push you through! We finished collecting our dossier and actually we called the agency to tell them we were just going to make the copies and mail it in, and they told us they already had a referral for us! We have had our referral now for 2 weeks, and cant wait to meet her hopefully for Christmas. That is the nice thing about Guat, you can visit and take custody of your child while in Guat however many times you want until you bring them home! Also, just a little side note. We were told by our coordinator that if we were open to either gender(which we were) that we would 99.9% be getting a boy! She told us this again and again. She would say..."Ok, so with your preferences being either you are aware you will be getting a boy, right?" Well lucky us....we bought boy stuff and got a girl referral! I dont know why they even bother saying that! You can see our blog @ www.meartzfamily.blogspot.com
if you'd like.

Anonymous said...

The one week turn around MUST have been a different state. IL is slooooow!! :) Good luck, Alison