Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mortgage Company came through!

So close!
So, we only have to have the medical forms filled out and receive the I-171H. I think immigration & IL DCFS have had our paperwork for about a week. Then, off to Apostille. I will also be copying things tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion to copy before all of the annoying staples.

We're Going Where?
This week I started getting a bit freaked out by the prospect of the trip. I have traveled a bit - even lived in London for 6 months. Before we went there, we were under the impression that they had nothing. I think my dear friend Karen filled her suitcase with Noxema because she feared they wouldn't have any and she had a bit of an addiction. We had to laugh at ourselves when we got there and saw the 2 Burger Kings (a sure sign of civilization - HA!) directly across the street from one another. Well, that was 18 years ago. And, this time we are actually going to the other side of the world where we don't even know the language - although I do plan to try to learn some Russian before we go. Traveling is exhilarating and absolutely exhausting at the same time. I mean I actually have to think about everything - directions, communication, clean water, food - so many things that are automatic when I am at home. And then there is the roller coaster ride of the intricacies international adoption . . . anyone else freaking out?

4 comments:

Susan said...

You are so blessed that your mortgage company was not a jerk like mine was! i am so happy for you!!!

I'm more freaked about taking my 4th grader out of school and who is going to stay for how long, then I am about traveling. I have immersed myself in blogs and books and learning Russian, so i think i know what to expect. Of course, It will be totally surreal ANYWAY, BUT, that doesn't freak me out, YET.

I'm sure it will, but for now, I'm calm about it. :)
I am not a light packer, and hate to wear clothes twice, so that will be hard for me. And, I've heard many a story of brown water. ick. that's gross too.

marsrob said...

Ok, I freaked out every step of the way...and now we are waiting for our LOI...we got our referral 3.5 weeks ago and are going to Semey, Kazakhstan - hopefully soon - to meet and bring home our baby girl! I am losing my mind and cannot wait. The paperwork is insane and we spent all day doing more prep stuff today. More apostilles for the court dossier etc. OH MY. Anyways, if you'd like to visit my password-protected blog about our adoption journey, email me at jennylri@yahoo.com.
I wish for your family that this daunting process goes smoothly from here on in - and quickly!
- Jennifer

Sandi said...

That is great your mortgage company came through. I have actually been calm through this entire process, until now. NOw that my dossier is physically in country the waiting is absolutely killing me.

I am thankful for all the blogs I get to read, they definitely help me wait. They tend to reassure me that soon I will travel and soon my life will be very different.

I wish you and your family a very happy and successful journey. I hope to continue following your blog.

Sandi

Regina said...

I think the thing that keeps me from getting freaked out is being able to read all these other blogs and the Yahoo message boards!

Just remember that you aren't alone and there is LOTS of GREAT advice out there by people who have been through it already!

I'm actually looking forward to living more simply. Builds character, right?

Congrats on getting your mortgage letter! One more step...

Regina