Monday, October 8, 2007

The BINDER

The egg project from high school
Did you have to take care of an egg as a project in high school? It must have been some educator's idea of teaching responsibility or even rudimentary parenting skills. I have to interject that it would not be all that effective since the egg does not want to eat every 5 minutes and does not scream and cry for no apparent reason. Actually, I didn't do this . . . I only saw it on some sitcom like the Brady Bunch. But, I feel like I am doing it now with this binder of papers and Great seals and identity documents.

We took a weekend trip to see Scott's family and I took the binder with us in case our house burned down. If that happened, we would be homeless, but we would still have our adoption dossier! I didn't really want to admit it to Scott. But, I did. Then he brought it in the house at night so it would not get stolen from the car. So, we are getting an A+ on the egg project so far! Only a few more weeks to go!

It was nice to get out of the routine of daily life, though. I really think I needed some perspective here. It is so hard when you are in the middle of something - gathering paper and freaking out about the future - to stay calm and find a sense of humor. If I have learned anything the last 3 years, it is that one controls so little! It is that illusion that always trips me up.

This is THE week!
Tomorrow, we both have our medical forms filled out and notarized. It seems like we have been going to the doctor for 2 months now - physical, TB and blood tests. It is hard to believe that we will actually have those forms done tomorrow.

Somewhere Susan posted that she needs to get a more recent copy of her marriage license and now I am thinking that I should just go ahead and do that because we got ours way back in March.

I Love Blogs!
All of you adoption bloggers are keeping me sane. Thanks!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hold on! You're almost there. I can't tell you what a rush it is to finally have all of your paperwork completed but you will soon find out. Of course, there are things to gather before you go: income tax returns, other documentation, but the worst of it is almost over! Congrats!

marsrob said...

I love how you guys took care of your dossier while away! Hilarious! Also, comforting...we're not alone...

Anyways, congrats on almost finishing up this piece!
Hooray!

- J

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Hi, I ran across your blog! I know how you feel. I'm waiting for my I171H form. Should be coming this week! Thanks for your blog. Mine is not so entertaining, but I'd be happy to share it if you want the address. All the best, Susan Moore smooretexan@yahoo.com

Susan said...

I am cracking up-but i can see why you took the binder. it's so much work. And yes, I thought i was done-my dossier was all translated and everything. But, good thing they have the program director give it the once over one more time.
so, I spent ALL day finding a way to get my marriage license and divorce decrees rec'd and apostilled in a week-and i found a way.
It took me all day, but i did it.

So-i took a bubble bath and drank a beer. I'm reading a hilarious book too called Momzilla's that makes me laugh.

Jennifer said...

Your analogy cracks me up! It is sooooo true! The house could be burning down around us, but we'd slow down to grab that dossier!

Keep up the faith and your spirits. I know it's hard to believe, but it will be over soon.

BTW, I'm a little late on posting (you know the story of what happened this week), but the picture of the office and the paperwork was great. As soon as I opened your blog, I started laughing.

Karen said...

Your point about your house burning down is not crazy at all. I finally got a safety deposit box at my bank for the same reason. We couldn't afford to lose our passports, copies of our dossier, HS, etc., etc. I'm just not sure if the box is big enough for all our stuff.

Kelly and Sne said...

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself and share our blog as well (http://climbingcradlemtn.blogspot.com). I can relate to all you are going through - and am especially frustrated by having to re-do some of these forms because other people screw up! Fortunately we can drive the documents over for our home state apostille and then hope to submit the dossier next week - with a HUGE sigh of relief.

Kelly