Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gratitude

An intense version of some sort of feeling emerges everyday - elation, excitement, paralyzing fear . . . and now gratitude.

I almost wept when the secretary at our Edward Jones office said that "Saskia" has a great mom, dad and big brother. One of my colleagues offered to rearrange her class schedule to teach one of my classes in my absence. That didn't work out so one of my graduate assistants has agreed to take on the responsibility of lecturing to my 150 student class! Another colleague is covering my other class for the entire time we are gone. The only thing she asked for in return is a batch of the decadent New York Times chocolate chip cookies. I can do that! And our social worker - I emailed her today for an home study update - she's sending it tomorrow.

Our agency and coordinator have been so great. Obviously we wouldn't be sitting here a month away from travel without them. So far, everything has happened as they have promised.

And, everyone around here is offering to do stuff with Luca while we are gone. Kami (the best caretaker ever who is busy being pregnant with her own (first) child) offered to come down and visit. Our friends here have offered visits and playdates. And, of course, my mom is coming down here to take care of our boy for weeks.

And the adoption and blogging community has been fabulous as well. Everyone is so willing to share anything they have and know. I have been fortunate to know two adoptive moms who have been great mentors. Alison helped me through all that paperwork and frustration last fall. Jennifer M. has prepared me for the joys and challenges of being an adoptive mother and helped me understand how our agency and the process works. She is also an amazing friend.

There are obviously many, many more people who have helped us through this entire process. I just want to say how grateful we are.

9 comments:

Susan said...

You always find the coolest graphics.
Yup, I have to agree with you, the blogging community is amazing. I am so grateful for everyone I have met on this journey..INCLUDING YOU. :)

I am glad that you are feeling better about Luca being taken care of while you are gone.
Sean and I spent the morning running errands (anything but pack that mess in my house) with Karen and her son Ryan. Ryan is now 15 months old. He ADORES Sean.
Sean is at an interesting age...double digits...pre-teen TOTAL SASS. hOWEVER, Just when I want to "throttle him" for yet another "sarcastic eye roll" or big huge "SIGH", he then does something endearing. :) Kids are amazing that way. Watching him with Ryan today filled me with hope and happiness, rather than dreading the teenage years. I think he will have fun being a big brother, even though Baby Kaz will learn the sarcasic sigh and eye roll way earlier than most children her age...

LOL
:)
Saskia is a lucky lil lady. :)

dnd82001 said...

You are so right - It is so amazing how people will rally around when you least expect it or even think of the many ways that people are willing to help.

And the blogging community - with both you & Susan being my greatest source of info and postive power that without I would be so totally - lost. I always feel like I am learning so much from you guys and the rest of our blog family that really without - well I would be lost in Kaz!!!

Darlene

Jennifer said...

I just sent you an email in response, but the short and long of it is back-at-you. :-)

I am so amazed at how organized you are already and the things you're checking off your lists.

I think it is so wonderful that when people see the joy in our faces and in our voices, they step out to help support us in whatever way they can. I too was/am amazed at the wonderful generosity of people everywhere.

Regina said...

I was also astounded at how many people were willing to offer us their support in a million ways. It's awesome.

I know it will be agonizing leaving Luca, but you are making the right decision. That quote about a mom's brain sounds right on!

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Hi, I just returned from out of town to happily read that you have travel dates. Congratulations!! When I was in Kaz to bring home Griffin, things worked great with WPA...except for Sasha always being late. He's a driver in Almaty. If you get him, he's nice but you might want to make sure you get his cell phone number so you can call to make sure he doesn't oversleep. hah. Anyway, I wish you the best. Susan & Griffin, Petropavlovsk May 2008

April said...

Angela,

I've been offline for 2 weeks or so, so I've been out of the loop for a while~I am thrilled to see you have travel dates! Such great news. I am very excited for you and for your family.

In the same breathe, I understand your feelings about leaving Luca for such an extended period of time. The logical brain and the emotional brain are very different and I'm sure this pulls at your heart in ways I can't even imagine. I have no advice that I'm sure you don't already know, so instead I offer you lame cyber hugs (((hugs)))

will be checking in more frequently for your updates. I'm glad you are expereincing gratitude today~it's a beautiful feeling.

April

Alysa said...

Congrats on the travel dates! And I agree that this blogging community is fabulous. Thank you so much for your support thus far and I can't wait to follow your journey.

Don't want to scare you, but that emotional rollercoaster won't be gliding to a stop for awhile yet. Just throw your hands in the air and enjoy the ride.

Tricia said...

The thought of you bringing a little child into your world brings out the best in people. Enjoy the support that you will receive. It will get you through the rough times and you will have so many to share in the good times. The countdown to Saskia is really on now!

Patrick & Eileen said...

You're right about the blogging community. You've actually helped ME in this process too. For that I thank you!