Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Sister

"Saskia" has been getting a lot of play at our house lately. I feel a bit remiss because I have not really updated Luca on our potential time of departure. He has not mentioned her for a few months, but he is obviously paying attention to what is going on (and remembering timelines, for pete's sake). I am not sure when the fact that he is ever observant is going to sink into to my head.

March?
We changed the calendar in his room recently and he noticed that next month is March. "Are we picking Saskia up in March?" he asks. When we planned to submit our dossier at the end of October, our coordinator said we may travel in March. "No, maybe August," I explained. "But, August is a long way away," he whined. It is hard to think of how to explain the intricacies of international adoption to a 4 year-old - mostly, because it is out of our control. Parents must look like they control the universe. We make everything happen.

Life with our Yellow Girl
In addition to his observation that Saskia hates mushrooms, he has designated the yellow girl game piece in Chutes and Ladders as Saskia's. (Actually, Chutes and Ladders is a good metaphor for adoption and the game we played the other night almost took as long. We had to stop going down the chutes to finish in time for Luca to take a bath.)

He also wants to know where she will sleep - "your room" I suggested. "There isn't room in my bed," he replied.

After seeing snippets of last night's Super Nanny, he assures me that he will be nice to his sister. Luca also explained that he will call her Hannah, not Saskia, when she comes home because Sid's sister (from Toy Story) is named Hannah.

Where will she bathe? "In the tub," Scott replied. "But, she will have her clothes on," he observed. Luckily, she may potentially take her clothes off and bathe with him. That is okay.

He will bring his second small chair in the living room from the play room so that she may watch planet videos with him.

And, finally, yesterday my dear son asked, "After Saskia comes home, can I have brother?"


Edited on 2/10/2008 to add: At lunch today Luca asked how far away Venice is. "About 6000 miles," I replied. "That is where we will get my brother," he said. Venice?! That would be lovely. I have learned to never say never!

9 comments:

Susan said...

aww I love Luca. What a precious little boy!!! He will be a GREAT big brother. We are blessed. Sean got a little practice when Ryan (9 months) spent the night with us. Sean was the best. He sang to him, helped me play with him, and was just so compassionate with him.
Then, on the way to school, Ryan "urped", and Sean said OH MOM, THIS IS SICK, HE URPED AND IT SMELLS SO GROSS. THIS KID IS DISGUSTING. GET ME A NAPKIN OR SOMETHING.
It was SO funny. I had to explain it wasn't "urp" it was just spitup and babies do that. He was really GROSSED OUT. Cracked me up.

Sean said he would really prefer a 9 year old brother, BUT, he knows that I will have fun dressing up a little girl like a little doll. As long he he can teach her to skateboard, he's ok. :)

It is amazing how much the kids pick up. Sean knows EVERYTHING as he doesn't MISS A BEAT. He also remembers EVERYTHING. It's rather scary...
August will be here before you know it. If we take 6 months from when our dossier arrived in Kaz, that would put us there in mid April. I'm not sure if we will be there then or not. I'd be fine with end of May, or whenever. If we go closer to end of school, Sean can come for both trips or one long trip (depending on what we decide). After seeing him with Ryan, i realize how wonderful it will be. Kids respond SO WELL to kids. Ryan ADORED Sean. I think the Kaz kids will delight in Sean and Luca. :)

I really think they will further enhance the bonding thing.

Amy said...

Well he is on his way to being a big brother that is for sure!! Already planning things out for her and where she will sleep and bathe, etc. What a good little guy!

Jennifer said...

Precocious child! :-) C'mom mom! Just give me enough siblings to form the big dipper! Jim jokes every now and then about "having a whole soccer team of girls." Hmm... Unless he won the lottery and didn't tell me...

I still can't believe it's August. I was thinking about you the other day and actually went through your site to see what your timeline was (knowing we had the same agency), and yep, doggone it! My guess is you'll get THE CALL in June and travel in July. No crystal balls of course.

Kim & Jamie said...

Out of the mouths of babes:) You have to love it! He is so adorable. I am glad that after watching Super Nanny that he will be nice to his sister...that is too funny. Hm, I might have to tell my sister about this tactic. Luca is going to be a great big brother! I love how he has already picked out Saskia's Chutes and Ladders piece. That is too cute!!

Matthew Ruley said...

How cute! He will be a great big brother. I need to watch more Super Nanny! Great show!

Karen said...

Luca sounds like such a neat kid. He's going to make such a great big brother.

annetta said...

I love the way Luca has a relationship with Saskia or Hannah already, without even seeing or hearing or touching her. He makes her seem very real for me. I have seen her in my imagination of course but he makes her that little person that we are all anxious to meet. He is definitly getting himself ready for her arrival. I think it is wonderful that he wants to share his beloved space videos and he even has a spot for her to sit. He is the best boy ever.

Regina said...

Sounds like Luca is so ready to be a big brother. What a total sweetie. A brother from Venice sounds perfect!

The Super Nanny rocks. She even has a book out I'm planning to buy.

Anonymous said...

What a cute story, and Venice sure sounds great!
Shannon