Monday, December 10, 2007

A Tribute to my Grandmother

Tomorrow I will go say good-bye to my grandmother. She has been diagnosed with cancer and has a very short time to live.

She has spent most of her life nurturing people and places before psychologists made a big deal out of nurturing. She is mother to 9 children, dozens of grandchildren and a handful of great grandchildren - "Saskia" will soon join this generation. I am sad that she will not know her because she is an amazing person. I have been thinking about making the trip to Indiana for the holidays next year and introducing my grandmother to her new great-granddaughter.

When I was with my grandmother, I felt like I mattered. I sat on a high stool in the kitchen while she cooked endless meals. We played Yahtzee together . . . I even watched soaps with her! She always included me in whatever she was doing and she made me feel loved. This attention, this love has given me the strength to persevere and live through difficult times. These were simple, everyday actions that made a huge difference in my life. I am grateful to her for just being there . . . I am so very fortunate to be her granddaughter.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your lovely grandmother. Thank you for posting.
Shannon

Brian and Patti said...

Angela,

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounds like a wonderful woman. From what you said about her, her legacy will live on for many years to come. I'm sure you will take on many of her attributes as you raise your own child.

We will be praying for you in this very difficult time.

Brian & Patti

Sam said...

This is so sad.I just went thru this last year so i understand. What a nice post.
Sam

Jennifer said...

What a lovely post about your grandmother. You made her come alive through your words.

I'm sorry to hear that her time here is almost over, and for the hole she will leave in your life. A hole that won't be completely empty as it will be filled with memories, but an empty spot nonetheless.

Thank you for sharing her with us.

Susan said...

This is a lovely tribute to your grandmother. I hope you will share with her what you shared with us. It's so hard to lose people we love, but she will be your angel up in heaven watching you and "Saskia" with a warm heart. :)

Trudi said...

A beautiful tribute. I hope Aila will one day say words like that about me. It is also how I felt about my grandmother. Thank you for sharing her.

Amy said...

I'm also sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounds wonderful! I am wishing you and her my best.

Monica said...

Oh Angela I'm so sorry to hear that she won't be with you much longer. She sounds like a GREAT lady!

My family just went through this in June. We were told my grandmother only had 2 weeks left and she lived exactly those 2 weeks and then passed on HER mother's birthday.

I miss her SO much. I regret that I didn't have a conversation with my Nana about just how MUCH I was going to miss her but I did not because I didn't want to upset her.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
{{{hugs}}}

Karen said...

Eloquently put. The way she made you feel so important and loved is truly an amazing gift.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Regina said...

My heart is with you in this very painful time. You definitely painted a beautiful picture of your grandmother, and I'm sure she knows just how much you love her.

Anonymous said...

It's Shannon again. Forgive me, but anything about a grandmother strikes me because I loved mine so. Two things: you look like your grandmother. And, I am considering naming my daughter after my beloved grandmother (actually, have always known I would name my daughter after my grandmother, but it's recently become a (hopeful) reality!) but hesitate b/c a) my cousin beat me to it and b) the name is becoming sort of trendy. What do you think?

junglemama said...

I'm very sorry. Saying goodbye to a loved one is so very hard.
God Bless.

tulipmom said...

I found my way here through Aliki's blog and just wanted to express my condolences for the loss of your grandmother.

Your tribute to her was beautiful and reminded me of the eulogy I gave at my own grandmother's funeral 6 years ago.

I am awaiting the birth of my second child (a little girl) who will be named after my grandmother. The fact that she will have this name is so incredibly meaningful to me as I had such a close bond with my grandmother.

Best of luck with adopting your second.