Monday, December 17, 2007

Kindness of "Strangers"

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. - Seneca, Roman Philosopher

Grateful
I am deeply touched by all of your kind words in response to my post about my grandmother. I was amazed by the comments and emails that I received. I am so fortunate that I was able to visit my grandmother while she is still lucid. I was able to tell her how grateful I am to her and how much I love her. As I was driving home I felt such a sense of peace because I was able to tell her everything that I felt.

I am often amazed by the kindness and generosity of people I have met through blogs and message boards. I recently solicited some advice from people I know online and I received the most speedy, heartfelt, thoughtful and helpful replies. Adoption can be isolating in that it isn't the common way that families are built. Having this community makes me feel less isolated in this journey that is so difficult (yet exciting!) to make. Thank you so much!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this community can be a lifesaver. Our friends and family don't always understand what we're feeling because, as you said, adoption can be isolating. But they love us so they will come around. In the meantime let's be thankful for our blog friends. I'm glad you're my friend ;-)
Shannon

Trudi said...

I learned about the support one can gain from unknown internet friends when I went through breast cancer almost 10 years ago. So it is no surprise to me to find such a fabulous support system for adopting parents online. It's one of the great things about the internet: connection.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I love your quotes ;-)

Catalina said...

Angela,
I just found your blog, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I lost everybody in my family (except my husband) - since I was 19. My father died 7 weeks ago. It is very hard, but we have to keep with us the good memories. We, your friends are here for you. You will feel little better when you will hold your baby in your arms and offer your love the way your grandmother did> Hopefully soon :).

Karen said...

So glad you were able to tell your grandmother how much she meant to you. My husband's sister passed away last December and he had the same opportunity. Sadly his brother did not and you could see how much he suffered because of that.

Jill & Jon Dumford said...

Adoption bloggers are the kindest people I have ever met...next to my teacher's aides! I am really happy I started a blog but I still get strange looks from people when I talk about my blogger friends. Oh well! One thing we can't worry about as adopters is what people think.
Blessings this holiday-
Jill