Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's All in the Hands


Alia has been home for a little over 2 months now. I have written many a blog posts in my head over the last 2 months, but clearly have rarely sat down to actually write them. I am kind of an all or nothing type person. Even now, my thoughts are incredibly scattered . . . and I don't like scattered posts.

Life at home after the great Kazakhstan adventure is ruled by the little things . . . like Alia's hand resting on my arm. This seems REALLY minor I know. I mean of course she rests her hand on my arm, right? Well, not really - not until Christmas day. Until then, she generally kept her fists clenched. That's how we met her in the hospital - fists balled up near her ears almost perpetually (unless she was on her stomach where she used her hands to push up). And, it wasn't just her hands - it was her body. It was often "rigid" - I can't think of another word to describe her demeanor. She was not usually relaxed when I held her. She was like a little island all to herself.

I am sure her hands were stuck like that due to inactivity. I see photos of other kids from the Children's Hospital in Kokshetau and see the same thing. The balled fists became symbolic to me. Their opening - when she gently rested her hands on my shoulder and relaxed in my arms as I walked her down the stairs on Christmas morning - symbolized her opening up and trusting and understanding we are her family.

I also felt myself opening up more to Alia because I saw that she trusted me and has begun to understand that I am her mother. I feel less and less like her babysitter and more and more like her mother. I love going into her room when I hear that she is awake from her nap, picking her up and giving her kisses which she loves. I feel particularly bonded to her then.

And, so it goes. We all continue to get acquainted with our new lives.

Here are a few random photos:

Luca in the midst of present opening Christmas morning

Scott and Alia on Christmas morning.

Alia sporting some of those teeth she has been working on.

All this past year, Scott would say "There's going to be a baby in that chair with us soon" when we were having dinner. Here she is!

I love the earnest look on Alia's face in this one.

21 comments:

Sandi said...

I love this post and I love that she is opening up. I am truly amazed how each child that comes home becomes part of their family at different times. What a blessing. May 2009 be a year of many happy times and many firsts.

Sandi

Jennifer said...

What a cutie! I love that grin!

I get it, I really do. So happy for you and this milestone.

Happy new year to all of you!

Gretchen said...

Tears are coming to my eyes as I put myself in your place and remember that moment with Serik. Thanks for the reminder and I'm glad your relationship is blossoming. :)

kryan said...

Thank you so much for sharing. We all understand what you mean.

Blessings,
Karie

Susan said...

what a wonderful post and i Love her lil hand resting on yours.

You are such a prolific writer. :)

Lil Alia is so sweet and getting cuter all the time. Her happiness really radiates thru those pics...she is not an island unto herself anymore!!

Karen said...

It's funny how many of us went through the "babysitting" phase with our children. When Garrett lashes out at me (more so than with Bob) I was told (by Dr. Johnson) that it means he feels safe with me. It means he trusts that I'm his mom and that I will love him no matter what. (Sure is a funny way to show it.)

Happy New Year Angela.

marsrob said...

That is very powerful and thank you for being so honest. Yes, it is amazing as the little ones we bring home begin to let go a bit and lean in softly. It takes time. But it does open us up when it happens too. Just part of the deal, I guess. Happy 2009 indeed!

Kim said...

This post made me teary eyed. What a great Christmas present. I remember feeling the exact same way with Joshua. Honestly, it wasn't it recently that I felt him truly comfortable with me (not something I blog about). It takes a long time for some of us. I am so happy that Alia is opening up to you more and more, it is the best feeling in the world.

Tricia said...

She has a killer smile. What a great Christmas gift you had. It only gets better. Happy New Year to you all! Many good things to come in 2009. Tricia

dnd82001 said...

Happy New Year!

2009 will be filled with many of those moments that we are all so thankful for!!

Continued blessings!

Darlene

Trudi said...

Angela, that is a beautiful, beautiful post. Your little one has begun to trust and relax in your love - it just does not get better than that, does it?

Tracy said...

Hey there.. Sorry it has been forever since I have posted. I looks like your life is going great. Alia seems like she is settling right in with the family and routine. I love all of the pictures.

I hope your new year is filled with many first and lots of blessings.
Tracy

Matthew Ruley said...

How amazing... What a cutie pie and how symbolic is that hand holding... S

Alysa said...

So glad things are going well and you are all settling in. It really is all about the little things, isn't it? I love the moments in the morning with Brady too.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Angela,
Thanks for your comments and now it's my turn. I'm settling in and getting a chance to check in with my blogging friends.

Wow....it was so amazing to see your family on Christmas. How sweet. Alia is just darling.

I know what you mean about feeling like you're babysitting. At times it still doesn't seem real to me. Now that my in-laws have left, it's really hitting home - AUDREY IS MINE AND I'M REALLY HER MOMMY! Like you I feel blessed.

I'm so glad I had a peek at your blog tonight :)
Eileen

McMary said...

Some how I have been missing your blog for awhile but now have found it again. I am so glad that I can follow you again. Alia is such a beautiful little girl. What a great story.

Regina said...

This is such a beautiful post Angela. It's amazing how the little things are really so big. Oh how I can relate. She is opening up like a beautiful flower. Enjoy every significant moment.

Her toothy grin is absolutely priceless! She is a beauty.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Angela,
Just checking in again to see if there are new updates! I still can't get over how adorable Alia is. The photos again brought a smile to my face!

Eileen

Anonymous said...

She is just so cute, and I love that last photo with Luca. I can tell he's going to be an awesome big brother ;-)

Amy said...

I can totally relate to both the babysitting statement and the relief you feel as you both start to make steps toward bonding. It took time for me too. The first three months were like one long never ending babysitting assignment. The second three months were better than the first three but still a trying time with occasional moments of affection. The third three months were much better and I could say there was a definite connection between the two of us. And the last three months...well the other day I was in the kitchen listening to a talk radio program about a mother who caught her babysitter smacking her child. For a second, I imagined myself in the the same situation and the level of pure rage that flashed through me told me that I was well and truly and deeply attached to my sweet child. It gets better a little bit at a time. Don't pressure yourself or make yourself feel guilty. That strong bond that you have with your son will come with time as long as you allow yourself to feel your real feelings.

Tricia said...

Hey, where's an update? What are you busy or something?

:)