Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Treats for Everyone!

Well, almost. No toys for the parents - just the kids. Despite a rocky couple of days (Dad is out of town & Luca is "testing boundaries" - this adds up to "rocky" to put it nicely), I took Luca to the toy store in search of a marble run and the ever-important stacking cups for "Saskia."

Run Marbles, RUN!

I set the marble run up after lunch and I think marbles have made their way down the transparent plastic tubes hundreds of times already. Luca said, "I am SO happy, Mom. Never take the marble run off of the coffee table." What have I gotten myself into now? This + throwing sticks, stones or debris to make ripples in any body of water he may find = bliss for Luca. I highly recommend this product for you and/or your child if s/he does not put small parts in his/her mouth! Hey, Kim - now that you have completely purged your house, can't you use a new toy?

Lots O' CupsAsk any PAP or AP one of the most important toys to take with them and s/he will most likely include stacking cups on their short list. We have shape sorters, stacking rings, almost every book written by Sandra Boynton and about 400 lovies that Luca never loved, but no stacking cups. So, we purchased some for Saskia today - I passed on the $19.95 set (huh? for plastic cups?) and found a more thrifty $5.95 set. I think we will also take the stacking rings, the LeapFrog Discovery ball , some Boynton titles (my favorite is The Going to Bed Book) and a few of the 400 lovies in hopes that "Saskia" will love them. Any other suggestions?

When searching for photos of stacking cups, I see that this love continues well into children's 20s. Photos of towers of cups set up by drunken college students were abundant. Who knew?

Consolation Prizes for mom
Forget the cups, a completely vacuumed house = bliss for me - truly. Think of the Beatles song "Happiness is a Warm Gun" (never got the gun part) and insert "vacuumed house." Cloud 9, I tell you, cloud 9. And, it was a hard one - you would not believe how much Luca did NOT want me to accomplish this task. But, to walk from one side of the house to another without having something stick to my bare feet is bliss.

Although I didn't get toys today, the house is somewhat clean and I spent the last 1/2 hour engaged in one of my favorite activities - ripping recipes I would like to try out of Food & Wine magazine - Gateau Basque, Crespelle with Ricotta and Marinara, or Crispy Black Bean Cakes with Sour Cream and Avocado anyone? Or better yet, how about a Thai Boxer? :)

Did I mention Scott is out of town?

9 comments:

Susan said...

the Marble thing looks so cool!!!
and we LOVE sandra Boyton books!! I think we have every one of them.

I bring out the stacking cups and the stacking cardboard boxes when Ryan comes over. He loves them.

Get some balloons, and the blow up beach ball. Those both have come recommended.

My sweetie is out of town too, but for some reason Sean is "angelic boy" when Dad is gone. He takes "being the man of the house" very seriously. I'm sure Luca will do the same when he's older.

I got the stacking rings too, but am not sure how much i can fit in the ole suitcase.
I also got some cool books that make noise.

I am sure Saskia will love the "Lovies that Luca never loved"
LOL! That is a tongue twister!
I think I loved all Sean's toys more than he ever did. :)

Alysa said...

I love that marble run thing -- I want one!! Yeah, I've got the stacking cups -- several different sets, and a ton of Sandra Boytons too. And a pretty good start on the yet un-loved (except by me) Lovies.

I'm laughing at your enjoyment of the clean floor. No kid yet, but I know just what you mean. It's the little things in life...

Regina said...

Hello sweet friend!

Today is "blog catchup day" for me.

The stacking cups were a huge hit for Milo, so good call on bringing them. He also loved the stacking ring that belonged to the baby house, as well as the blow-up beach ball. He loved the books we brought (touchy feely board books) and a simple water bottle filled halfway so he could shake it up! He loved the "rain stick" that belonged to the other little boy in the playroom. He really liked this little plastic truck we bought there, on which the back opened up to hold little blocks. He was not crazy about stuffed animals, balloons or bubbles, but each child is different.

Depending on your city you can buy a good bit of stuff there, except for the books. And there are no crayons there! I couldn't believe it.

I wanted to thank you for all the wonderful, thoughtful comments you wrote on our blog during our first trip. It was so encouraging to read all the support out there (when we could get online!) We should be going back in mid-July and will have all the internet access bugs worked out.

Love the marble thing and I cannot wait to see pictures of your new miracle child playing with it! ;-)

Catalina said...

seems you are having fun while your husby is out of town :). The toys seem very cool and I am sure your baby will enjoy them. I am going to heck the recipe too, if somebody could come and cook it for me, it would be great....
Enjoy your time, soon you will be busy!!!

Anonymous said...

I am going to start my own list with all of your good ideas. Stacking cups, got it. Vacuuming and dusting are the only household chores I can tolerate. Instant gratification on both of those. In your "spare" time...
crispy black bean cakes with sour cream and avacodo are my vote.

Tracy said...

I teach Pre-k and I know how much they love marble works toys. It is so good for them too to see how putting things in a different place makes the marble go a different way. Good toy mom!!!

I also got our little one in Kaz some stacking cups. However they look more like stacking bowls. Found them on clearance at walmart!

LOL... it is so funny you are on cloud 9 with a vacuumed floor. I like them clean, but can find a few other things I like better to get me on cloud nine! Like... sitting alone in quite with a good book, or a fav. movie, and some Chocolate!!!

Ok.. back to that packing list!!! (I am still in shock)

Anonymous said...

If you're like me you rip those recipes out of magazines and tuck them safely away never to be used ;-) But I have good intentions. Hope you get them made.

Smiles,
Shannon

Sam said...

Let me tell you my new guilty pleasure....merry maid...i am telling you.......its SOOOO worth it. they have your place "shining like the top of the chrysler building." and they are coming next week...I CANT WAIT... I wil be on cloud 9 with ya

Jennifer said...

Oh you crack me up. Is it any wonder why I appreciate you so much? Ok, so I have to ask, WHY, oh WHY! do they go upstairs to exercise?! I have yet to figure that out. Bathing, brushing teeth... that I understand. But running up the stairs to exercise? :-)

I love the Barnyard Dance. It brings out the hip-hop in me.

Gigi loved her stacking cups and her ring/teether. Those two were her favorites.

P.S. I am totally with you on clean house (my slight modification) = total bliss.