Friday, May 16, 2008

At Rest

Dossiers
At the beginning of this school year, our family was working on putting not one, but two dossiers together - one for Kazakhstan and one for Scott's tenure. Who would have thought we would be putting together a dossier for anything. I wonder how many times I said this word the last few months . . . a word that was formerly reserved for spy movies and government reports. It is strange how a stack of papers can morph into a sweet child or job security - it is alchemy actually.

And, Then Life
Along the way, we have also taught classes and taken care of Saskia's brother. School. Luca thinks school is the nexus of the universe. Too bad we can't convince our students of that. When I was in school, I made some ridiculous assumptions about my professors - mainly that they knew EVERYTHING and they didn't have to do anything. They walked into class and their knowledge magically sprang forth. HA! I guess I still work under that assumption for myself - that I should know everything (impossible!). Teaching is hard work! I really found that out this past semester. My classes weren't filled with eager graduate students who did all the work, but with undergraduates with whom I had to struggle to spark the slighest bit of interest in the material (and work!).

Hiatus
Now, the school year is over . . . the grades are turned in and the defiant emails I received from one particular student are a distant memory. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the flowers are blooming (they are really blooming - this has been an amazing spring) - life is good!

Congratulations!
Life is good for a lot of other people right now too! It seems like a lot of families are headed for Kazakhstan this month - Regina & Frank, Kelly & Sne and some others. Shannon is now officially full-time mom to Alexa! Suz and Matt have a little more than 2 weeks left until they return HOME with their two children. Karen and Glenn had a successful court appearance and now they are between trips. Welcome back & congratulations!

I have added a few links - one of the families (R&T) received their LOI. Michelle and Jeff made it to the MFA.

Diana & Bob finished their dossier (and what a process THAT was) and so did Ben & Suzette.

It really seems like things were stalled for a while. From what I can tell from unscientific observations (following blogs for 9+ months), people go in waves - fall, after the winter holidays (February-March), then late spring.

We are in the midst of the late spring rush :).

P.S. I read Catalina's post after I wrote this update. She is home for good with her two children as well! Congratulations to all of you!

8 comments:

Susan said...

Hey teacher!! :)
school's out ....for the summer!!
I have always had a respect for teachers-especially since I tried my hand at teaching kindergarten (long story) and lasted 5 weeks. I lasted 3 weeks before i gave my 2 week notice. I realized it takes much more than just loving kids to be a good teacher. :)

I'm glad summer is here and you can relax for awhile and enjoy your sweet son and sweet hubby.
I am excited that school is almost out for Sean, no more homework, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks! :)
I'm ecxited to spend some time wiht him just chillin before he decides hanging with mom is just so uncool.

I hope you will hear something soon about Saskia. August is almost here you know..and will be before we know it.

Keep on bloggin cuz i love the way you write. :)
Get to work on that list.
I have a new list since all my documents are expiring in the next 3 months. Hey, wouldn't want to get bored with summer and all. :)

Kim said...

Very happy the school is over for you and that annoying student is a distant memory. :) I hope you can relax, enjoy the spring weather and read lots of great books!

Jennifer said...

Happy spring/summer! I hope you have a great time relaxing and enjoying the beautiful weather!

So now that you have a little time... (this is where you say, 'uh oh') you're able to get to all those lists you've been taunting me with, right? :-)

Late spring rush, indeed.

Tracy said...

YEAH... schools out... We are finished on Friday. I am so ready to have the summer off. Although I did not sign a contract for next year. I just could not sign then leave mid way through the year. I do hope to do sub work or what ever our principal will throw my way. I want to keep my feet in the door so I can go back after we have our boy home for a bit.

I hope you all hear something soon. We just hope to get through translation in a timely manner.
Tracy

Patrick & Eileen said...

Just stopping by to say hello :)

Rest and enjoy your time together!!

Eileen

dnd82001 said...

Hey Angela - just a quick note to say hello!

I visit Matt & Suz's then go right to your blog - love it with all the current happening's updated and such - it's good to have you here for all of us blog junkies - yes that is what I am now.

I do have a tip for anyone that gets down about how things are moving or lack thereof. I've been feeling down and I decided to read some of the blogs of people who are all done with their adoptions and when I read how everyone is happy and settled and that all the horrors they experienced during the process of adopting, just reading the happily ever after stories really lifts my spirits. It's been helping alot so thought I'd pass that on since I know myself I am always reading the blogs as they are going through it and although I am extremely happy it does bring me down at times since it's not me. Anyway reading uplifting blogs helps with that!

So that's all I've got at this moment - stay well!!

Darlene

Catalina said...

Thanks for the updates, enjoy the summer and the time with your family! I hope you will give us updates about your dossier very very soon!!!
Hugs,
Catalina

Joby and Marla said...

Hey, I have been checking in looking for any news of an update. Hopefully you will hear something soon, maybe this week!!!!

Marla