Monday, June 8, 2009

If My Kids Were Charts . . .

. . . this is what they would look like. I realize that Alia and Luca are going to be different. Of course, they are. But, we are constantly amazed at exactly how different they are. Up until a few months ago, Luca was our only point of reference as far as children are concerned . . . nice, slow, methodical, even-keeled Luca. The boy who wakes up with a smile and goes to bed with a bigger smile. The boy who I could park on a nice soft quilt to play for, oh an hour or more, while I emptied out the dishwasher, paid a few bills and wrote a lecture. He is also the boy who at almost 6 has no interest in riding a bike or playing baseball or walking down the street unless begged.

Then we have our little brown-eyed, silky-haired whirling dervish. Alia's whole being pulsates with energy. Her main form of communication these days is screeching . . . brain-emptying screeching like I haven't heard . . . ever. She'll do it at Steak and Shake, the grocery store, the dinner table - any time the mood strikes her and for no discernible reason. And, once she gets going it takes her a while to stop. She sits on her soft little quilt for all of 2 seconds. She is soon rifling through every drawer and cabinet she can open - pulling out stray pairs of scissors, full containers of fish food with lids ajar, and sequins that she sticks in her mouth by the dozens. Alia will look at me with joy and glee one second then scrunch up her face in a fit of anger the next. The other night, Luca didn't want her to shred one of his drawings she had gotten a hold of. I took it away and she crawled her little 15 month-old butt over to Luca sitting on the couch and HIT him.

Scott and I regularly exchange looks of pure joy and utter fear over our sweet little, moxie-filled Alia.

Summer is in full swing around here. Luca completed kindergarten this past Friday. He has done an amazing job this year. We celebrated with a "do-whatever-you-want" day. It mostly entailed early snacks and TV and a little Dairy Queen for dessert. He is already in camp this week. I think it will be a lot harder to keep him entertained at home now that he has been in kindergarten all day. I want to spend some lazy summer days with him, but I also want to keep that mind of his occupied. I hope we can strike a balance this summer.

As most of you know, the life of a baby/toddler changes very little. I am still trying to figure out why life seems so crazy with such a predictable routine. Oh, yeah . . . see above. Alia is really thriving. At her 15 month check-up, we found out that she grew 3 inches in 3 months. She is 31 1/2" tall & really close to 23 lbs. She started walking last month. Crawling is still quicker and more convenient for her, but she chooses to walk more & more. She makes lots of noises . . . some words which seem to come and go. She really wants to be in on conversations and in close proximity to whoever happens to be around however, she is still generally guarded in new situations and around lots of people.

Alia continues to sleep and eat really well. She definitely does have preferences for certain foods on certain days . . . like one day she will inhale zucchini pasta and the next she will yell for something else. She is a huge fan of any kind of tropical fruit . . . pineapple, mangoes, bananas . . . which makes me smile because Kazakhstan could not be any less tropical.
Her latest project is growing all 8 of her back teeth at once! I guess once they are all in, we will be done for a while . . . thankfully.

Outside of the occasional physical violence, Luca and Alia get along really well. My heart really couldn't feel any fuller when I come across them playing on the floor of Luca's room. Alia's face lights up when Luca comes home from school and Luca is a kind and gentle big brother. I really could not ask for anything more.

A few random photos that I am including just because I like them.

A moment of repose

Luca has been taking LOTS of really interesting photos.



A snippet of Easter

Luca after our big storm (topic for another post)

This weekend Alia started grabbing a book and climbing into the chair and rocking. She also slides down the slide at the park on her own - at FIFTEEN months.

I am going to try to make a little time each week to read blogs and update our own. So, if you are still out there, I am making a commitment to this again! I appreciate all the reminders to update from Susan, Kim, Jen M. and Eileen.

We're back!

13 comments:

Sandi said...

I am so happy you are back. I check often and am always wondering how the kids are doing. It is so nice to read your update and to hear that life is grand.

Happy Summer..
Sandi

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I am so happy that you are back, too! Congratulations to Luca on finishing Kindergarden, and congratulations to Alia on 8 teeth (!), walking, and all of that growing. I can completely understand those feelings of sheer joy and fear. I empathize with those feelings of raising a strong willed, independent, spirited, princess with big cheeks and almond eyes :-) And in case anyone hasn't told you in the past hour- you have two of the most beautiful children.
And once a week updates. I can't wait!

Stacy said...

So glad to feel connected again. Your children are gorgeous as usual! We missed you this weekend but totally understand that it was not good timing! Glad you are back we missed seeing Alia and Luca!

McMary said...

Hey--great to read your post and hear the updates on the kids. sounds like life is wonderful in your family. I am glad to hear that and look forward to keeping up. the kids are just adorable.

Susan said...

yay!! I am so happy. Leeza was reading with me, but started grabbing everything on the counter when I tried to type, so I had to put her down and she just hit me. :)

so..I can so relate to your lil moxie filled Alia. :)

Loooved the video of her walking...and I love her fiery lil personality..as it's so similiar to many of our lil Kaz sweeties. It's pretty amazing though when you consider her first 6 months were spent in silence, alone in a crib, huh? No wonder she likes to scream and shout, and slide down slides. :)

It's so heartwarming to see the big brother/lil sister interaction...but Leeza ALSO started hitting her brother. Ooh these girls...:)

I'm so glad you're back....you know I constantly harrass you, but it's so important to BLOG..NOT just because I'm a blog stalker, but for YOU, and for Alia and Luca...these moments which are so all consuming now, are quickly forgotten. I love going back and reading when Leeza first started walking. :)

I am confident you'll find a balance this summer for your kiddo's. You are just that kind of a conscientious mom. :)

xoxoxxo

Susan said...

ps. I Love her bows. :)

Jennifer said...

Yay!! I couldn't be more thrilled that you're back!!

And seriously, that little girl of yours??! Wow!! Gorgeous. Simply stunning. Amazing!

She sounds the perfect Kazakh Princess! (big grin)

Luca is growing up so fast! He's losing that baby face, and looking much the boy.

Yay, still so happy you're back. I'm still smiling.

Tricia said...

Love the update and it is great to see updated photos of your cuties!

Kim said...

What a great update! I love the picture of Alia looking outside. Your kids sound like mine, Noah has the same personality as Luca. And Josh, well....David and I often throw our hands up and say "What the hell" when he knocks out Noah for no reason. :)

Glad you are back!!!!!!

Karen said...

It's wonderful to read your update. Congrats Luca on graduating from the big K. Today is Garrett's last day of kindergarten—and what a year it's been.

It's so interesting how two children can be so different in temperament. Thank your lucky stars that you don't have two fiesty kids on your hands. They're equally adorable. Enjoy their uniqueness. (And welcome back to blogland, we missed you.)

dnd82001 said...

So happy to get your update - recently I thought I might email you to say hey what about the blog since I see you are on facebook (which can suck people in big time) although it is the same with the blogs however I'm sticking with blogging since it's all about our cute little Kaz kiddies!

Congrats Luca and my oh my sounds like your daughter has a wonderful outgoing personality with lots of spunk - you go girl!

So nice to read your update!

Darlene

marsrob said...

Sounds like Alia is keeping things exciting and intensely gratifying around there. The photos are wonderful and it is just so great to hear that you are all getting so deeply into the experience of navigating toddlerhood with a little sweet Kazcutie!

kryan said...

Great to see the update. I cant believe how big she is getting, not to mention the long hair and teeth! Kathryn is getting equally as vocal, must be the Kaz girls trait. By the way, what do two vegetarians order at Steak and Shake?